 Robotics / 17939
Re: Powering motors from the mains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 03:42:20 GMT

Those who can use a soldering iron, and know their anode from their
cathode, could build something like what I did:
http://members.rogers.com/swatsons/power4small.jpg

The black box is a 7809 9v positive voltage regulator. See the data
sheet here:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/KA/KA7809.pdf

I used a 12v wall wart to power the whole thing. It works very well too,
this is how i powered my entry in my last robotics competetion.

Jonathan Spitz wrote:

I have the RCX 2.0 and it doesn't hace any power connector. Lego should have
thought about that and at least sell a special adapter. Anyway, they didn't.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: Powering motors from the mains

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:

I find batteries a pain, especially as there output isn't constant over
their lifetime, therefore I'd love to be able to power my motors from the
mains. I'd like to know what methods their are are doing this. I'd prefer

purist option but I do know which end is the dangrous one on a soldering
iron. It also has to work in the UK, home of the three pin plug.

Purist approach is to use a 9V train speed reg and LEGO(r) wires from the
speed reg to your motor(s), possibly through the polarity reverser switch

give control. The speed reg is powered from a wall wart trafo so if you

buy

a UK train set or UK used speed reg (should not be too hard to come by) or
even pay LD's high price for a new one, you should be all set. The UK wall
wart will have the appropriate 3 pins for your funky mains points and will
be 220v compatible.

The wall wart from a speed reg can also power an RCX that has the power
connector (1.0 but not 1.5. I do not know if they put it back for 2.0 or
not) if you want to go that way...

Hope that helps.