 Robotics / 17027
Re: Precise turns of any angle! -- Rotation Sensor Information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:21:16 GMT

Jerry Kalpin wrote:

In 'The LEGO Lugger', previously posted at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/jdkalpin, the extended drive shafts for both sides
of a tracked vehicle, moving in opposite directions, are summed in a
differential with the difference (hopefully zero)fed to the rotation sensor.
Because the two motors are never the same there is always a very small
rotation, perhaps 0.2 rpm.  At a count of '+2' the right motor is stopped
until the count drops to '1' and at '0' the left motor is stopped until the
count rises to '1'.  The count is displayed on the RCX readout and the
vehicle is quite slow so you can watch it.  A straight-line standard is the
joint in a tile floor.

I believe that in this case, you should use a light sensor looking at a wheel
that's white with a black line marked on it.  The software for reading this
is identical to what you would use for line following (a very well researched
topic!) - all the problems of rotation sensors goes away.

My take on it is that the rotation counter is a good device when used within
its limitations and I should not expect it to be perfect.

Yes - although I think it's important to know precisely what those limitations
are.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net