 Robotics / 16993
Re: Precise turns of any angle!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 04:22:22 GMT

"Brian H. Nielsen" wrote:

   The robot has a top mounted cane which rotates 360 degrees and about
2.75" off the floor.  The cane is on large 56 tooth turntable and linked
to a rotation sensor in a 7:1 gear ratio to increase the sensitivity of
the rotation sensor to 112 clicks per full rotation of the cane.  The
turntable is mounted over the robot's center of rotation.  The assembly
is driven via a motor and pulley setup, allowing the motor to run
continuously without fear of burning out when the cane is in contact
with an obstacle.

   The basic theory of operation is that the rotation sensor tracks the
orientation of the cane and when the cane is in contact with an object
it stops rotating and we have a directional reference against which to
make course corrections.

The trouble is that the rotation sensor drops counts when you run it
at low speeds - especially if it's reversing direction frequently.

You can read about my experiments that prove that fact here:

http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/lego/rotation_sensor.html

I'm told that you get much better results using LegOS - but I have
not yet tested that.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net