 Robotics / 17020
17019  |  17021
Subject:
Rotation Sensor Information
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:33:49 GMT

I agree this is the heart of the problem...

I made a small experiment and saw strange things on my scope. Has anyone
already open a Lego rotation sensor ? I'd like to have a look to internal
photographs and/or see a circuit diagram.
I tried to open one, but everything seems glued and I fear to break it...

Philo
www.philohome.com

I don't think so.
The reason that count is lost is that the A/D conversion
happens just in the moment when the sensor switches between
two values, and you get neither of the two but the intermediate value
on the other side of the cycle:

    3
  /   \
2      (2)
|       |
(1)      1
  \   /
    0

Say you go from 1 to 3 and measure the ghost 2 in between.
The ROM routine then doesn't change the count,
and it sets the state to 2.  The end result is a miscount by two.
My experiments indicated a miscount for on the order of several
thousand counts.