 Publishing / Brick Journal / 165
Re: BrickJournal 7 is OUT!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.brickjournal
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 03:48:35 GMT

In lugnet.publish.brickjournal, Ted Godwin wrote:
   This may be the best issue yet. The articles around the Cafe Corner are fantastic.

But it still makes me long for a real, honest-to-goodness print magazine. I know it is probably not realistic but if I could have it any way I want, it would be a monthly (or maybe 10 issues per year) full-colour glossy magazine but perhaps 1/3 - 1/2 the number of pages currently published. I’d rather get less pages more often.

Any word on going “physical”?

I’ll answer your comments individually:

Until recently, the magazine printing schedule was governed by the speed that the layouts could be done - and that meant that it came down to me because I was the primary layout artist. Quarterly publication was set because of my real life and its demands.

Those demands have changed, and more importantly, people are stepping forward to help with layout - that opens the game up considerably for me. I have heard more than a few comments about the size and scheduling of the Journal, and now I will be able to get things started to a) keep a schedule and then b) improve the schedule.

Another priority is the BrickJournal website - I am in initial planning stages for that, as I want something that takes advantage of the web medium, and I want to see multimedia, which isn’t very easy to find with the community, it appears.

And it’s funny that you mentioned having it any way you want...I’m going to be talking to a web group about something like that:-)

As for going physical, I will be working on getting help from TLG, but it’s going to be a major challenge - the only way to get an issue of Brickjournal a a reasonable price to sell that is financially viable is to print a large quantity - and that brings in more costs...

So I can say that I am working on it, but I can’t give a schedule - mainly because I spent the past three months getting things aligned for most, if not all the things you are asking for.

Joe