 Pirates / 758
Re: Why did they quit making shooting cannons in the US?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:58:16 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Jeff Barnett writes:

Does anyone know why they stopped making shooting cannons??

In the late 70's, there was a paranoia against any toy that fired projectiles
in the US, which came fom incidents revolving around the Battlestar Galactica
Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider toys, which shot little missles that got lodged
in kids' throats.  I'm not sure if the kids actually died or not, but they did
manage to keep a lot of us from having much fun (or at least AS much fun).

I remember that era well....I also remember Kenner advertising a limited
addition Boba Fett w/ firing missile pack that you had to send away for...I
also remember being bummed when I received it w/ no weapon and a missile
glued in place...

Which reminds me...I bought some misc. pieces off a KABOB who was selling
his and an older brothers collection....half of the cannons have a black
stem at the rear of the barrel, but they don't appear to work...

I was in college and short of bucks when Pirates came out, so most of my
cannons were acquired from polybags and a saber island set.  The cannons
that I bought years ago are all the mononchromatic Dark gray kind.

Are these non-firing black stem/plunger cannons a hybrid or retrofit safety
measure..you know, originally they fired but they converted them...Are these
like an AR-15, ie. you can file down something and they fire as intended?

I would love to know....these don't fit in w/ my other cannons at all, but I
doubt their trade/sale value....I would keep them if I cold make them fire = )

Yes, you can take these cannons apart. there are two small holes on each
side of the rear of the cannon that you can
push a paper clip into to release the clips.  dont use a lot of pressure as
you might damage the clips inside. I got a black shafted cannon via an ebay
auction and when I took it apartI found a white plastic collar where the
spring would have gone. Last night I took a spring from a ball point pin and
reshaped it to fit around the shaft. I did cut it so be careful of the
sharp ends. It now shoots as well as the "real" shooting cannons I got in a
service
pack set via ebay  : )

have fun!

John