 Pirates / 699
Re: Question about frigates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:29:22 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Tony Priestman writes:
Can anyone give me a quick answer to this:

How many cannon does a ship have to have to be considered a frigate?

Or let me put it another way:

Is 24 or 26 going to be enough?
--
Tony Priestman

24 is the lowest number I know of, though if you check out the source I list
below, they note 20. Part of what determines a frigate is its rigging, so
cannon is not the only criteria.  They tended to get larger as the 1700s came
to a close and on into the 1800s.  You can get away with 24, but note that they
should all be on a single deck.

Go here:

http://home.gci.net/~stall/ship2.htm

to see the status of the english navy in this time period.

Bruce