 Pirates / 696

Subject:
Question about frigates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:30:34 GMT

Can anyone give me a quick answer to this:

How many cannon does a ship have to have to be considered a frigate?

Or let me put it another way:

Is 24 or 26 going to be enough?
--
Tony Priestman

Re: Question about frigates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:41:24 GMT

Tony Priestman wrote:

Can anyone give me a quick answer to this:

How many cannon does a ship have to have to be considered a frigate?

Or let me put it another way:

Is 24 or 26 going to be enough?

As far as I know, it depends on how many cannon a ship is designed to
carry.  I think that 28 or 32 was the standard minimum as of 1800; I
don't know of too many with fewer cannon.  On the other hand, the
Humphreys frigates in the US did carry up to 56 on any given voyage...

best

Lindsay

Re: Question about frigates
Can anyone give me a quick answer to this:

How many cannon does a ship have to have to be considered a frigate?

Or let me put it another way:

Is 24 or 26 going to be enough?

As far as I know, it depends on how many cannon a ship is designed to
carry.  I think that 28 or 32 was the standard minimum as of 1800; I
don't know of too many with fewer cannon.

Hmmm. This is what I thought.

Need a longer ship :(

--
Tony Priestman