 Pirates / 2072
Re: Sail Making..was: Big Thunder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:53:54 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Joel Jacobsen writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Tom Reed writes:
In lugnet.western, Tom Reed writes:

http://community.webtv.net/TDReed/BlackRose

I have a question, though. How'd you do the black rose logo on the sails?
Silkscreen or something? What fabric did you use for the sails? While I'm
not doing Pirates ATM (I'm getting things in place for some castle stuff) I
want to use my pirate ships but with different "non-pirate" sails. I just
haven't looked around much, yet, to figure out what works best.

Thanks for any suggestions you (or anyone) can make.

Joel J
Hi Joel,
The black rose on the sails is done with iron on fabric. It's the same stuff
you would buy to patch some clothing.  It comes in different weights and I
use the lighter weight.

<snipped>

I hope that helps you to make some sails!  I'll look forward to seeing what
you create.
Tom

Tom -

That's great info. Thanks for explaining it. It'll be some time before I get
around to it (I think) but I'll be sure to post then. :)

Joel J

Hi Guys,

There's another method of sailmaking that's a little less messy than the
liquid stiffener.  My wife (the costumer) introduced me to "Heat and Bond"
which is a lot like patching material. It should be available at a craft or
fabric store.  It's a synthetic material that you place on the back of
fabric and iron so it 'melts' onto the back of the fabric.  It stiffens and
keeps the edges from unraveling.  You want to use a fairly thick, cottony
material, and we actually sandwiched the Heat and Bond between two layers so
it doesn't show and you end up with nice stiff sails.  For the holes, I just
cut an X where the hole should be and the pegs poked through nicely.

(now here's the really mean part)

I would show you the end result, but they went on a secret project that Mark
Sandlin and I built about a month or two ago.  We haven't posted any
pictures because we want to wait until we get the SEALUG web site up.  The
site is coming along nicely so hopefully it won't be too long now.  Muhahaha!

Sean

PS:  My wife also suggested that I add that the liquid stiffeners can become
really brittle after a while, which is why she prefers the Heat N Bond.