 Pirates / 2038

Subject:
Sail Making..was: Big Thunder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:02:49 GMT

In lugnet.western, Tom Reed writes:

http://community.webtv.net/TDReed/BlackRose

I have a question, though. How'd you do the black rose logo on the sails?
Silkscreen or something? What fabric did you use for the sails? While I'm
not doing Pirates ATM (I'm getting things in place for some castle stuff) I
want to use my pirate ships but with different "non-pirate" sails. I just
haven't looked around much, yet, to figure out what works best.

Thanks for any suggestions you (or anyone) can make.

Joel J
Hi Joel,
The black rose on the sails is done with iron on fabric. It's the same stuff
you would buy to patch some clothing.  It comes in different weights and I
use the lighter weight.
I made a design on paper, traced it to the fabric, cut it out, and then
ironed it on.  It's tricky to lay it out just right before you iron it.
The fabric I use is just regular cotton broadcloth that you can find in any
fabric store.  You can use just about any type of fabric, but the trick is
making it stiff!  For that I use "Aleene's Fabric Stiffener and Draping
Liquid"!  You can find it in most fabric stores too!  I mix it half and half
with water and soak the fabric in it.  Hang it up to dry and after it's dry,
I iron it to remove any wrinkles.  I do this before I apply any design!  The
liquid is great for keeping the fabric from unraveling too!
Once the fabric is treated, then you can paint it, sew on it, or glue stuff
to it.  If you need to make it stiffer, you can resoak it in a stronger
solution.
I usually do the stiffening and the applying of the design before I cut out
the final sail shape!  That way you can make sure the design is centered
properly on your sail!  It would be twice as hard to apply the design if you
had to worry with getting it lined up too!  In fact, you want to cut out the
sails after you have stiffened and ironed the fabric.  For the holes, you
can find a special paper hole puncher with the right size hole at a hobby
store.  I think the size is 3/16 inches!
I hope that helps you to make some sails!  I'll look forward to seeing what
you create.
Tom

Re: Sail Making..was: Big Thunder
Sheree Rosenkrantz is planning on making sails for sale. I know she will
be at Brickfest and some of her sails will be featured in the Pirate
Game.

Frank

Re: Sail Making..was: Big Thunder