 Pirates / 1835
Re: WTB or trade for Masts and Fleet Database, anyone interested?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:35:24 GMT

skaforhire wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:
skaforhire wrote:

As i previously said, i would slap something makeshift online. so here it
is, it can be improved upon. it explains most of the criteria and why i
think it would work on the pages. questions, comments, complaints,
suggestions, modifications, monkeys, fixes send them my way so i can work
them out. thanks.

Link?

As far as using Evil Stevie's Pirate Game ship classes with MOCs, I
think most of the ships out there would fit within that ratings system,
and there are several of us who could do a pretty good job of rating
MOCs. But I'll certainly take a look at your ratings system.

Perhaps it would be the better way, i just was looking at overall stuff too.
Like troops and guns. i don't know. Another problem is i haven't played ESPG
yet(been trying to find some of my wargaming friends to) I look forward to
it though. I am guessing that if you go by classes in the game then that
would be a way to rate the fleets(total number) but then again not everyone
complys with the class's (ie:i have a 5 centersection large hull ship. I
think it boasts 15 guns{have to go look for exact numbers} on the broadside.
i guess it would be a class 9 in terms of hull but wouldn't it be a class
20(how many cannons total it has) in cannons? or did i read that wrong?  it
would look pretty naked with only 9 cannons.  So that is why i was thinking
that it would be more then just based on ESPG.

I certainly agree that a MOC with extra cannon and whatnot would class
as more. One thing which does need a little clarification though is how
cannon are counted. The way I interpret the Pirate Game rules, a class 7
ship (BSB or SES for example) which has 5 broadside cannon can fire them
out either side, so for display purposes, I might actually install 10
broadside cannon into that ship, resulting in 12 cannon, but I would
still call it a class 7 ship. On the other hand, a MOC with two gun
decks would definitely rank higher. I think for the purposes of this
exercise, I'd be willing to count the class of such a ship based on the
number of cannon mounted (so if you have a MOC which is arranged
historically, which has two gun decks, mounting a total of 12 cannon to
a side, I rate it as a class 12 ship. For stern chasers, I'd add one
class per deck of stern chasers even if you mount two stern chasers on
the same deck). Of course to use such a ship in the game, it would be
more complicated (the hull hits shouldn't be the same).

For those people who build
not for gaming. Not to say i don't desperatly want to find a game somewhere
to play... unfortunatly i only have one cutter.... so running my own is
hard(though i suppose i could start everyone off with a brig or a class 3)
its also finding the people to play.

Cutters are easy to make. Plenty of materials available. If you can make
it to Brickfest, you will get the opportunity to play. Also watch for
news of Piratefest, though I'm not sure how big it will be.

Looking at your web page, I like that you're listing other stuff besides
just fleets. I'll have to go count my cannon and see where I'm at. I do
suggest listing both shooting and non-shooting (just so I can brag about
the quantity of shooters I have [does anyone else have something like 50
shooting cannon service packs <or is it 70 that I have, I really need to
go count>?].... :-)

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com