 People / 1294

Subject:
HELP! I'm out of control!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:38:04 GMT

Help!

My name is Kevin and I am a Legoholic.

I don't know what has come over me. I'm spending way too much on Lego! In
the last 2 months, I have spent over 4000$ on the little plastic bricks. I
have accumulated more parts than I can ever use. And forget about ever
sorting them even if I could live to be 150!

Boxes are piled in the basement, the bedroom and the living room. Sets are
displayed on shelves, the kitchen table, in the cupboards and in drawers!
Furniture is completely buried. We lost the dog under some boxes for a few
hours the other day.

Those darned holiday sales are to blame! This one is always better than the
first one. One store trying to beat the other store. 20, 30, 50% off!! When
will it all end??! Heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Z (Drowning...in ABS... bricks...)

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:57:10 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:
Help!

My name is Kevin and I am a Legoholic.

I don't know what has come over me. I'm spending way too much on Lego! In
the last 2 months, I have spent over 4000$ on the little plastic bricks. I
have accumulated more parts than I can ever use. And forget about ever
sorting them even if I could live to be 150!

Boxes are piled in the basement, the bedroom and the living room. Sets are
displayed on shelves, the kitchen table, in the cupboards and in drawers!
Furniture is completely buried. We lost the dog under some boxes for a few
hours the other day.

Those darned holiday sales are to blame! This one is always better than the
first one. One store trying to beat the other store. 20, 30, 50% off!! When
will it all end??! Heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a grip man. And then get organized.
If I can limit LEGO to a single room (BAYLIT and all...) So can anyone.
1) Disassemble all your sets.
2) Separate all packaging and instructions (parts rule afterall)
3) Recycle all buckets (their recyclable)
4) Sort all parts by shape into separate tubs
  (Yes, you _can_ do this - hire the neighborhood kids if you have to)
5) Put them all up for sale on brickbay - you'll have more $$ to spend.
6) Buy more
7) Repeat at step 2)
8) If you happen to break out of the 2-7 loop, simply mail the entire lot to
me... who has the process perfected. (I'll pay shipping, so you'll have
something to show for it all)

-Jon

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:52:30 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jon Kozan writes:
[...]

Unless they're Conan, or Mike Poindexter.  Or have a really big room. ;)

James

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:28:22 GMT

In lugnet.people, Kevin Zwicker writes:

Help!

My name is Kevin and I am a Legoholic.

I don't know what has come over me. I'm spending way too much on Lego! In
the last 2 months, I have spent over 4000$ on the little plastic bricks. I
have accumulated more parts than I can ever use. And forget about ever
sorting them even if I could live to be 150!

Boxes are piled in the basement, the bedroom and the living room. Sets are
displayed on shelves, the kitchen table, in the cupboards and in drawers!
Furniture is completely buried. We lost the dog under some boxes for a few
hours the other day.

Those darned holiday sales are to blame! This one is always better than the
first one. One store trying to beat the other store. 20, 30, 50% off!! When
will it all end??! Heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy for you...
However, a person can NEVER have too many bricks!
The more bricks = the more freedom to create.

But, perhaps if you do become inundated with surplus bricks or sets, try
donating them to a worthy cause. (no, not an AFOL)  To a charity that
provides gifts to impoverished children in need. Christmas is the time for
giving, and since you can obviously afford to envelope yourself in this
luxury, then you may also be able to help out some less fortunate children.
You can give them the same happiness that Lego brings you!

  I remain,

                    Richard

You can reach me @ SHROUD_OF_KUNG_FU@Hotmail.com

-Lego good, Canada great-®

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
[...]

Nope.  There is no way possible for me to fit all of my Lego in one room.  It
already fills one room (including the attached bathroom and large closet) and
spills out into the kitchen, dining room, and TV room.

IF I threw out every box and compacted it all into trays (which I am SOMEWHAT
working on), it would still fill more than the 12x15 ft room I WANT to cram it
into.  I have stacks 9ft high in that room (and others).

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:59:27 GMT

Boy, do I feel for you. I hope my X-mas bonus will allow me to buy my first
set in eight months.....

Duq

"Kevin Zwicker" <kevin1@netrover.com> wrote in message
Help!

In the last 2 months, I have spent over 4000$ on the little plastic • bricks. I
have accumulated more parts than I can ever use. And forget about ever
sorting them even if I could live to be 150!

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:20:15 GMT

[...]

1. Put yourself on a budget.  $100 a month, $50 a month, whatever.  I save
my budget up for sales.

2. To help in the above, narrow your focus and limit what themes you want.
Trains and Town or Space/Star Wars or maybe Castle and Pirates (that's me).
Or even just one theme.  Trying to get it all (and all at once) will leave
you doing nothing but shopping.

3. Sell off the excess.  Use the money to supplement your monthly allowance,
or buy the dog a Lego-free doghouse.  It's easier to sell off sets still in
the box than break them down and sell the parts.

4. Decide where you are going to keep your Lego habit.  Reduce it to one
room at most.  This will help you decide how much to sell off.

Bruce

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!
lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 18:33:23 GMT

[...]

Welcome to the club Kevin.

I've accumulated an almost complete Lego Technic/Mindstorms/Expert
Builder/Throwbots/Slizzer collection in a year. On the 200 sets I bought this
year, about 10 are not MISB. Some sets date for 1977! You can imagine the costs
- well over $10,000 including the complete Star Wars collection, some trains
and bucket bricks (and the $CDN is worth rat nothing). It seems to me that as I
complete or near to complete a theme I want to buy another one. I'm now
considering completing Trains 9v and/or Pirates. If you can do it, the better
to you.

Eric. #282

Re: HELP! I'm out of control!