 Organizations / United States / SEALUG / * (-5)
Subject:
The Adventure Begins: BrickCon 2008 Registration is Open!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.or, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.id, lugnet.loc.ca.bc, lugnet.events, lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 04:10:12 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

BrickCon 2008 Early Registration is now available at
http://www.brickcon.org/register-yourself
at the special Early Registration price (prices go up starting in August).

BrickCon is an annual adult Lego hobbyist convention and exposition in
Seattle.

BrickCon 2008 will be October 3, 4, and 5, with load-in and some events
starting Thursday, October 2.

The venue this year is the Exhibition Hall at Seattle Center
http://www.seattlecenter.com/booking/detail.asp?VE_VenueNum=510
which is in the same general facility as recent years (Seattle Center) but
much larger and has adjoined, dedicated classrooms and other nifty
features.

The schedule of events for BrickCon 2008 has not been finalized but
currently includes reduced public exposition hours (11am--3pm Saturday and
Sunday) and many of our traditional events (a draft, a Dirty Brickster,
speed builds, a blind build, etc., etc.).

For more information, visit
http://www.brickcon.org

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

Re: Post for David Winkler... The Stanford Bunny!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:09:57 GMT

In lugnet.build.sculpture, David Winkler wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Todd Kubo wrote:
Hello All!
Hey Check this out!! I'm posting for David V. Winkler, a quiet but very talented
builder in SEALUG.
Be sure to check out all the other stuff he's got in the brickshelf folder if
you haven't already seen it!
Cheers!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/abunny.png

The classic 3d test object, the Stanford Bunny!
Using the mesh distributed by the Stanford Computer Graphics Lab (
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/ ) I produced this Lego sculpture that
just fits within a 32x32 baseplate using 991 pieces.

I have posted the LDRaw data, a PDF of instructions that I find simpler
to follow, and a PNG image of the finished bunny at
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/

-dw

I was asked the following question:

     Wow!  How did you digitize the mesh into Lego units?  Did you do a "hit
test"
     on each vertext/face within lego units, or perhaps do a boolean subtract
     out of a composite lego 'block'?  Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

     ---Will

In response:

I used povray and rendered slices through the bunny.

For this to work the section
vertex_vectors {
35947,
<0.0378297, 0.12794, 0.00447467>,
<0.0400442, 0.15362, -0.00816685>
}
face_indices {
69451,
<21216, 21215, 20399>,
<17277, 17346, 17345>
}
Needs to be replaced with the actual vertex_vectors and face_indices of the
bunny.  It's a fairly simple transformation from the ply file format available
on the Stanford web site to this format.  Note that this technique will work
with any POV CSG object.

Render this as an animation for clock=frame=1 to clock=frame=25

Then shrink the images of the animation to 32x32 pixels. (matching up with the
LegoWidth declaration below) (LegoHeight could be replaced with 0.4 for plates).

Each frame of the animation is a Lego layer.

Place a lego block there if each pixel of each layer frame is more white than
black. (An easy way to do this is to use a graphics program to transform the
file to a text pbm format, which uses "1" and "0" for the two allowed colors
(black and white))

I was asked the following question:

David,

I just caught your article on LUGNET about usingPov-Ray, I tried the code you
had posted with a .ply Ihad and it didn't work, gave me errors on the textureand
translate lines, is there any chance you couldsend me your .pov file version of
the Stanford Bunnyfor me to look over?

I, like you, would like to design lego "sculptures"using the abundant software
available and buildaccordingly.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

-Josh

In response I have posted the pov file generated from the ascii version
(bun_zipper.ply) of the bunny as posted from the The Stanford 3D Scanning
Repository. The coordinates and the triangle indicies should be unchanged from
that ascii file, so the mapping from the ply to the pov file should be pretty
clear.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/StanfordBunny/bunny.pov

To deal with the holes in the original ply mesh model I consider the mesh object
to be the intersection of several different mesh objects, each with a different
outside vector.

The command lines that I use to run povray are in a "#if 0" block at the bottom
of the file.

To get color I render the same model from six directions, then use a voting
scheme to decide what color a voxel is. I use the alpha channel of the png to
better determine whether a particular voxel is filled or not.

The attached model uses for the interior
color rgb <0,0,1>
and for the exterior
color rgb <1,0,0>

Note that the exterior will be visibile in only a small minority of the pixels,
but with voting and masking out the known interior color, this is enough. The
red color can be replaced with an actual pov texture or such. (I did one
leopard spotted bunny this way)

This pov file also includes some 2.5d work that I was doing. Terrain map like
stuff. Activated by setting the clock to 0 and declaring "DEPTHMAP".

The standard bottom-to-top rendering as described in the paper is the command
line with "Declare=CAMERAPOS=2".

David Winkler

Re: The Crystal Skull
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 04:39:02 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Todd Kubo wrote:
After taking a break from BrickFest PDX and working on completing Mecha
Godzilla, I got a chance to head to LLCA. On my "parts and set run" I picked up
a few lbs of 1x2 clear plate!!

TOTALLY AWSOME. Maybe using some black 1x2s in the eyes (nose and mouth) would
give it some better definition.

Re: The Crystal Skull
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:01:49 GMT

Hey Todd,

Abso-freakin'-lutely awesome!!  Now it just needs some flashing rend lights in
the eye sockets and you're ready to throw down some serious Lego voodoo!

Dave S.

Subject:
The Crystal Skull
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.org.us.sealug, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 18:15:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

After taking a break from BrickFest PDX and working on completing Mecha
Godzilla, I got a chance to head to LLCA. On my "parts and set run" I picked up
a few lbs of 1x2 clear plate!!

I was able to finish a MOC I had started years ago when they first had some rare
trans parts...

The results:
<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kamikazek/kubo/CrystalSkull/crystalskull9.jpg>>

Not bad I figure considering the limitation of types of trans parts and being
90% 1x2's.

Other angles Brickshelf:

Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85991162@N00/