Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:22:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
Actually, to tell the truth, I might be inclined (if that were the case) to
produce 10 really *awful* items, then try and avoid picking up magic items
all together, except maybe the sword in the middle. Basically, I'd assume
that each other team would've produced somewhere around a 50/50 distribution
of good/bad items, and that my additional third of the items would push the
balance to 33/66 good/bad (depending on how many items other people put
out), meaning I should avoid magic items in general, and that way other
teams are more likely to get junk that's detrimental.

Why not set it up with two potential effects for every item, one negative
and one positive?  When you pick up the item, a roll of 1-2 on 1d6 means the
item is the bad version, otherwise it's the good one.  That means no one
will have an advantage when going after the items they designed themselves,
and the odds are favorable enough to offset the potential danger.

I'd also suggest that you try and make any magical items fancy-looking
enough that you don't have to worry about duplicates.  Gray swords just
don't say 'magic' to me, unless we're talking about The Legendary Gray Sword
of Unremarkableness +0.