Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:58:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Mike Rayhawk writes:
Why not set it up with two potential effects for every item, one negative
and one positive?  When you pick up the item, a roll of 1-2 on 1d6 means the
item is the bad version, otherwise it's the good one.  That means no one
will have an advantage when going after the items they designed themselves,
and the odds are favorable enough to offset the potential danger.

Yeah, I'd kinda like to go this way more or less-- IE it's possible that 3
people bring gems (say) that all do negative things. Hence, people know
"uh-oh, gems suck!" Originally I had a whacked out, but intensely random
concept whereby:

You roll a 1d20 after receiving an object, then examine the "appropriate"
list for effect, depending on the item type. That way, you wouldn't get
staves that increased weapon range, pirate hats that added fire damage to
your attacks, etc. But that requires a list for, say, CC weapons, Ranged
weapons, Wearable items, and generic items. Plus there's nothing to say that
a pirate hat SHOULDN'T add fire damage to your attacks or whatnot, that was
just my left-brained impulses kicking in.

I'd also suggest that you try and make any magical items fancy-looking
enough that you don't have to worry about duplicates.  Gray swords just
don't say 'magic' to me, unless we're talking about The Legendary Gray Sword
of Unremarkableness +0.

Good point-- we don't want to confuse a *dropped* grey sword with a
*magical* grey sword :) Plus it might make it easier for figuring out whose
is whose later on, not to mention adding the creative spice to the game
that's so fun :)

DaveE