Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:53:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
The SP limit is should not consume more than %25 of your total CP, so 250 CP
worth.  Again, I think the magic items that you create to get scatterd
should draw from this pool, minimum of 5 items per team, with a maximum of
10 per team...thoughts?

Hmm. I kinda think if the SP's come out of your team's rations, people will
be less likely to go scattering cool objects across the board. Plus, people
would know in advance what *their* items did and would be less/more likely
to pick them up depending on function (if they can see in advance what they
are).

Actually, to tell the truth, I might be inclined (if that were the case) to
produce 10 really *awful* items, then try and avoid picking up magic items
all together, except maybe the sword in the middle. Basically, I'd assume
that each other team would've produced somewhere around a 50/50 distribution
of good/bad items, and that my additional third of the items would push the
balance to 33/66 good/bad (depending on how many items other people put
out), meaning I should avoid magic items in general, and that way other
teams are more likely to get junk that's detrimental. Hmm. Ok, actually, I
wouldn't, cuz I'd feel too guilty doing that. But anyway, I'm sorta leery of
the SP's coming out of your magic pool.

I think I'm more inclined to give some added inscentive to magic items-- IE
'somehow' we're guaranteed that there's a *slightly* higher chance that a
magic item will be good than bad. If that's the case, it encourages more
magic-item-getting (just a good excuse to take a chance), which adds
definite fun to the game. Especially when you pick up the magic helmet that
makes you attack your own troops, or a sword that makes the first enemy unit
you touch with it divide in half and replicate instantly!

Spider Gymnastix should be allowed.  I guess Stealth should ony be allowed
through magic, but perhaps Shaun can elighten us with his thoughts on the
matter.

Sounds good to me.

[1] - I liked Mike's idea wherein you roll multiple d6's on each turn per
"remaining duration", and any that come up with a '1' lose effect that turn.

This didn't make sense to me at first, but what your saying is that you
simply lose a turn of duration for every '1' that appears, thus shortening
the effect.  I'm okay with that.

Yep. So effectively you can get a magic spell that lasts forever (if you
never roll a 1), or a magic spell that lasts only 1 turn, even when spending
10 SP's on duration. It appears to shorten 'average' duration slightly, such
that it increases logarithmically instead of linearly, while also
guaranteeing nothing whatsoever due to outlandish probability.

[2] - Proposed: Pay 1 SP per blok-mass of the object you're animating, if
you plan on doing those sorts of sneaky things, to prevent people from, say,
animating the big castle containing the uber-sword and marching it towards
your troops, or jumping on top of enemy troops, forcing them to endure
ABS-crushing death.

This seems reasonable, but shouldn't it be total blok-mass - 1, since BW
always seems to assume a blok-mass of 1 (so you only have to pay additional
SP when you are anamating something larger).

Either sounds ok to me-- I proposed that originally, and IIRC Mike said he
was thinking about just making it cost 1 SP per blok mass. We can just go
with the "pay 1 SP per mass beyond 1" for now, though...

DaveE