Re: LEGO event coming up May 27-28
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 16:20:10 GMT

Our family was out on a road trip yesterday, and stopped by the event. It
appeared to be very successful with lots of public participation. The model was
an alligator standing on his hind legs, probably about 8 feet tall when
finished.

There were many tables with bricks and laminated instructions for the public to
build 400% scale 2 X 4 bricks (without studs on top). The bricks were being
assembled by the LEGO staff into the actual alligator model. I did not speak
with them, but there seemed to be two Master Model Builders, as well as many
people from the LEGO store. We were there late in the afternoon, and they seemed
to be pacing themselves to stretch the build over the three days. It appeared
that big containers of finished bricks were being taken back to the store and
being disassembled behind the scenes. Either they were disassembling bricks that
weren't built properly, or just disassembling many bricks to allow other people
to participate.

People that built a brick were given a piece of paper they could take to the
LEGO store and exchange for a certificate of participation. That way they got
the traffic into the store, which I suppose is what the main idea was all about.
They had a small (6 inch) model kit of the alligator that could be purchased.
The parts were bagged with color instructions for $12.95.

So the event was fun to see, and was a good LEGO outreach to the general public.

In lugnet.org.us.lugola, Scott Costello wrote:
New details for the building event here in Ontario over the memorial day
weekend.  Dan Brown will be in from Entfield, and will supervise the
building of a very large scale aligator model. The public is invited to
assist in the build which will take place over the three day weekend, in
the food court.