 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13500
Re: rtlToronto19: Balance of Power and other upcoming events
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:44:37 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:

May - rtlToronto19: Balance of Power.  New game, based on MIT game called
"Tiltilator" shown on NOVA/PBS.  Concept Drawing:
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/balance2.jpg

Nicely drawn as usual.  I like this idea for a game a lot.

-Weight restriction

I think it's definately necissary, but as to what that number is, without
having a balance at home I'm not sure what to suggest.  I've got some nice
scales at work, I could get the mass of say, 4 RCX's and check what that is?

-Size restriction (start marker as a size restriction)

My initial suggestion would be, to have the beam split down the centre, and
then measured both ways equally some distance (24 studs? 32 studs?) and have
another line.  There's your maximum size - although we'll probably have to
have restrictions in the other two dimensions, otherwise you could just
build some big long hang-down robot that clamps onto the vertical support or
something like that (maybe that's not bad? I don't know).

Anyway, with the two lines - the two lines on either side of the centre are
your "Start" lines and if your robot is smaller than that you just move it
up to the start line and get to go from there.

-Winning as balance after a given time
-Winning as beyond a certain angle (limit stop on either side)

Like tug of war, I think we have to have end stops on the beam at say, 30-45
degrees, and also a time limit.  First person to completly bottom out the
beam on their side wins.  If at the end of the time limit (1 minute? 2
minutes?) no one has bottomed out, then whoever's side is lower wins.

-Dimensions of balance staging.

Not quite sure what you mean - if you mean the size of the beam, I liked the
idea of using a big long 2x4x8' beam.  Longer means it's going to have a
higher moment of inertia and it's going to be more dramatic/sluggish in
motion.

I'm going to stop in at home depot and see how much an 8' section of 4" ID
pipe really flexes.  I'm still not 100% convinced that it will flex
significantly, and I think it'd look a helluva lot nicer to build this out
of black or white tubing rather than 2x4's.  :)

Thanks to Calum and Chris and Dave and everyone else for their work in
setting up yesterdays event.  So fun!

    Iain