 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13157
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:40:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Johannes Koehler wrote:
Hello!

We wouldn't continue flaming along this stupid topic for several months on
end.

Hm, browsing through this Letter-to-CEO-thread I see those who agree to the
letter and disagree to the colour change just saying "I agree to the
letter", name, age. Those who do not agree to the letter (and possibly agree to
the
colour change?) and feel annoyed by the topic are calling others "w*nk*rs"
and tell them to "f**k *ff" and the like. So who is bringing up the flame?

Hey JoJo!

I think both sides of this flame war are guilty of this.  To various degrees
there are worse offenders, but when people rightly pointed out that this
disparaging letter would do more harm than good, they were shouted down.  I
think, for the most part, I've tried to actually deal with the issue of hte
letter instead of attacking the person, so bring this to me--the petition,
whilst developed under supposedly the best of intentions, will do, in my
opinion, more harm to the tenuous relationship between the AFOL community and
TLC.

Why do AFOLs continue to live in some sort of fantasy world where they think
their clever little petitions and posts will do anything constructive!?

Probably because LEGO is a toy that enriches the fantasy of the kids and the
fantasy of some adults as well. Maybe some people's fantasy was enriched a
little too much. :-)

And I personally believe that certain individuals have taken theri LEGO hobby
and crossed over the line into obsession.  Ranting to a multi-billion dollar
industry and stating that they 'the worst mistake ever' and that they 'must
change back' is arrogant to the extreme, and shows little to no consideration or
understanding of any business endeavour.  Furthermore, as stated by myself and
those whom I consider to be 'true' fans of the brick, this type of petition will
more than likely alienate the execs at TLC from us, the AFOL.

For if you are a fan, you will work with the best of efforts to facilitate an
understanding with TLC--it's not 'kissing up' or 'brownnosing', it's adults
getting along in the fashion of adults--working towards a mutually beneficial
goal, which this petition fails to do on so many levels.  Adults don't go on a
tirade when a multi-national corporation changes the colour values of a plastic
brick.  Aduylts should voice their concerns in an adult manner, and let the
decision rest in the purvue of the business executives--and this has already
been done numerous times.  TLC knows how the AFOL feels about the colour change.
Rehashing the decision ad nauseum will just create animosity between the
community and the execs at TLC, and the execs will be less inclined to listen to
this community in the future.

Oh, and writing an actual letter to an executive is (in my humbly opinion)
still more constructive than sheer discussing the matter in an internet forum,
while attacking such a letter is rather destructive and while ignoring the
matter that obviously concerns quite a lot of people is simply... nothing, but
it's OK.

ANd I agree--but it's been done.  TLC knows where the colourt change people
stand on teh issue of changed colours.  But, and here's the part that people
don't seem to be understanding--just because they didn't 'revert' back to the
colours does not automatically mean that they didn't hear you.  If I recall
correctly, Jake stated they took our 'suggestions' under consideration but the
colour change is staying.  Done.  Move on.  Rehashing now is obsessive behaviour
and will embitter our relationship with TLC.  Basically you're (this is a
general colour camp 'you', not a JoJo 'you') screwing this up for those of us
that want to continue with our chosen hobby.

You know why you're being "crapped on"?  It's because people who really dislike
this colour change and making a fuss about it are ruining it for those who
couldn't give a flying frick in a rolling donut.

Why is that?

Think I've stated that--the colour camp is souring the relationship between the
true Adult fans of LEGO and TLC.

OK, people are reading a post like Ben's Letter to the CEO, they think "Oh what
a whiner, grey is dead, why doesn't this guy get over it!" Now they could
simply skip the post and move on to the topics they are interested in and that
are also highlighted on Lugnet's front page: No flame, no hassle, no nothing.

However, this petition was going to be given to TLC.  This fact I am very much
against, therefore I've stated that I am not in favour of this letter.  It
stated that it represents AFOL's.  I'm an AFOL and it didn't represent me.
Further, on receiving this petition, it is my contention that the execs will
have yet one more concrete example that the AFOL community isn't worth litening
to, for no matter what they do, the AFOL community will whine, threaten,
boycott, etc.  So again, why would TLC listen to this community?  I certainly
wouldn't if I were in their place.

Instead that they click on "reply" (like I did now...) and write "Oh, you are
such a whiner, grey is dead! Why don't you get over it?" and with that the
thread they don't like is double as big as it was before. Other people stumble
over it, they agree to those who do not agree to the original post (which is
their right), they highlight the posts with the "w*nks" and the "f**k-*ffs"
and the whole issue is brought to a boil and messes up the whole of Lugnet.

No, the issue started when some bright people pointed out the issues with the
letter.  Again, if someone has the freedom to post such a letter, others have
the right to point out the issues with the letter as they see 'em, espoecially
if this letter could, and more than likely will, do damage to the relationship
between the AFOL community and the company that provides us with the basic
building blocks of our hobby.

There's a large part of this "community" who doesn't really give a damn about
the colour change, or didn't like it but have resolved themselves to deal with
it.

So if this large part of this "community" really wouldn't care they could as
well get over the posts of those who care. And if they didn't like the colour
change why would they attack those who at least _try_ to do something to change
it back? If this attempt to do something shows any effect to the better it was
also for the better of them (OK, that's a bad sentence, pardon my English).

Otherwise - I repeat - they could just skip the topic.

And those who still dislike the decision about the colour change can come to the
understanding that their voice has been heard, yet TLC has still pursued their
chosen course, and stop rehashing it, perhaps we can start developing a better
rapport with TLC such that they will be more inclined to listen to the AFOL
community regarding future decisions.

Every rtlToronto dinner I go to, I hear stuff like "Did you see so and so's post
about colour change in .whateverthehell? It had 150 replies!"

Yeah, and 100 replies are from those who don't want to read about the topic.
Clever.

Nope, those 100 replies are good people standing up for what they believe to be
right.  Bad things happen when good people don't stand up and say something.
This very issue shows this in crystal clear clarity--the colour change camp
wanted this to go through without a hitch, without discussion, and wanted to add
yet another concrete example to the growing list of why more than likely TLC is
probably ignoring this community.  And 'we' (general we) called 'you' (general
you) on it.  We've pointed out that this issue has been discussed before, that
it was managed before, that it was dealt with before, that it was broght to the
attention of TLC execs before, that, in the end, TLC wasn't going to revert back
to the old colours.  Yet it was still brough up as a very poorly worded
petition.

I would have *no* issue with someone writing a "professional" letter for TLC
execs to consider, a polite petition to get one's point across regarding the
colour issue.  I wouldn't necessarily sign such a petition for, and again this
is my personal opinion, the execs already know our stance and why rehash it--you
say your peace and you move on with your life, whether they implement your
suggestion is entirely up to them--if the did--great.  If they didn't, however,
revisiting it the second time, the third, forth, and, probably by now, the 15th
time, will get you nowhere.  Oh wait,  it will get you somewhere--it will
embitter those very people who can actually do something about it towards your
cause.

The definition of insanity is pursuing the same course of action over and over
again, yet expecting a different result each time.  You know where that
definition gets used alot--when applied to obsessive or compulsive
personalities.

I'm just saying...

Bye
Jojo