 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13158
Re: Open letter to the CEO of the LEGO Company / Call for your signs! (no discussions here please)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ken Koleda wrote:

I think the main concern here seems to be that the sending of this letter will
harm you, by affecting TLC's view of you/our AFOL community?

That's one of the more prominent.  Others could include discouraging newcomers
to the hobby, painting Lego enthusiasts to the general public in a bad light,
etc.  But since we're intrinsically linked to the Lego Company (there are no
other sources of Lego) yes, this is my major concern.

However, I don't think the letter, even as it is, will have any adverse affects.
What could happen?

I think I've gone over this before.  For isolated enthusiasts, not a heck of a
lot.  But for large groups, such as large LTCs, etc, it could mean:

-Losing the opportunity to do cool events jointly with Lego.  eg, Roadshow.

-Missing out on Fan-Company projects like Lego Magazine models (which our group
has participated in), My Own Creation (James Mathis and Daniel Siskind's models)
etc.

-Not having support/materials such as... eg, Event Kits, AFOL magazines, Train
Posters, direct mailing support for train shows.

-Less participation in Fan events such as BrickFest: eg, Brad Justus giving
keynote talks, product prerelease unveilings etc.

...just to name a few.  Note, pretty well all of this has been mostly the work
of Jake.  And while not every colour change poster dislikes Jake (a
generalization I made incorrectly), I don't believe the comments from certain
peanut gallery members in regards to our Community Liaison help.

I certainly wouldn't want to be called a liar, then turn around and push
initiatives inside the company on behalf of such folk.

Now, would these things disappear?  I don't know.  I personally see the link, I
don't know if everyone agrees with me or not.

and a venue for greiving the loss.  Some folks need to greive more publicly than
others.  Please let them.

a) People may grieve (or whine)

b) We may mock them for this and tell them to get over it.

c) Others may say, "you shouldn't criticise them"

But the same provision for a) should cover the provision for b) which is what c)
was complaining about.

Calum