 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11965
Re: Chocolate Lego Printer...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:04:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Tim Courtney wrote:

   So, how does this thing work?

Hey Tim,

I came to this story through core77.com, a neat ID e-zine.

As far as I can tell (I hate reading a geeky BLOG to figure out someone’s project!) it “prints” a little dot of chocolate by moving a plate under a “print head” that extrudes the product. Or maybe it moves the head over the plate? I can’t tell. I have no idea how it handles undercuts, as it has no way of making “support” (maybe add a second head extruding peanut butter? LOL). Without that I guess it just makes a lump.

I love the idea of chocolate as an RP material - it melts into itself, so no stepover marks! Of course the whole “part” also just melts into goo, so not exactly stable to look at for very long. But I suppose it’s not made to be looked at.. it’s supposed to be funny.

I wish the little movie link worked, that way we could see the finished product.

Darrell