 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 280
279  |  281
Subject:
Externally powered Monorail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:03:49 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I won’t bother to link pics here ‘cause it always takes me at least 3 tries to embedden ‘em...

Anyway, with much further ado, here’s my latest POC--

Externally powered monorail!!

Pics at Flickr--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky1701/sets/72157625215012881/

Vids at YouTube--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObezX7KuIS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gGG5fnvC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPJAfeP75I

So a few things--the copepr tape is a little stretchable, so after the first disaster of laying down the tape on the curves (soooo amny bumps and folds!!), I got the hang (mostly) of it and the copper tape on the subsequent curves are pretty smooth. Janey gave me good ideas with the cutting and overlapping from stain glass working, but the tape can strrrrretch a wee bit to accomodate the curves without issue.

I haven’t taped up a ramp part (should be no issue) and will try to some evening this week.

I also havent’ tried a switch track. First, because I’m loathe to use switches in a display layout now--they just get worn way too fast at a show, and I haven’t quite figured out how to cross the copper at the juncture. I have some ideas and maybe I’ll experiment, but since I don’t use switches in display layouts too much, it’s low on the priorities.

I tried to get some good LEGO geometry going to connect the 9v train power connectors to the monorail track. No go--the power connectors don’t conform to a good LEGG geometry :( For now, I’ll just solder the power connector wires to the copper tape and go with that.

But the big news is that since the monorail can run off a LEGO train controller, it can (wait for it)... be RCX’ed...

OMG! stops without using monorail stop switches. Variable speeds!!!

Yeah, I’m pretty excited.

I’ll try to have at least 1 full loop up at our next show in two weeks.

I’ll keep ya all informed as I go.

Dave K