 Organizations / 688
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:12:51 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.org, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Basically (and possibly not quite correctly) it is a content
management system with access control lists designed(?)
primarily for use in the LEGO fan community.

Which part of the community, specifically? General LEGO fans? Webmasters of
other LEGO-related fan web sites?

So, sounds like you intend to duplicate a lot of the
functionality of Lugnet.

Yes.

Why? Although I have been vocal in my opinion that Lugnet is not the perfect
LEGO hub site, since it deals with a subset of LEGO audiences, it is certainly a
very important and successful resource. Creating duplication will only divide
audiences, rather than pull the community together. Why not work more closely
with Lugnet rather than try to recreate the wheel? This one's pretty round.

Have you discussed the possibility of sharing (NNTP seems
ideal for this!) newsgroup posts <-> Lugnet?

Yes (but not with Todd, yet).  We are considering how we can
feed discussion group articles between existing sites in a
practical way.  This will of course involve agreements with
the various site owners and some kind of system for
exchanging user validation (preferably without exchanging
actual user data).

When were you planning on starting the discussion with other site owners? As an
interested party, I'd like to know more of what you are offering and what
benefits, as a site owner, I could expect to receive. Since we deal with
non-adults, there are strict rules about what we can and can't do with the data
we have, which may make a difference in what you are developing.

To be honest, I'm less and less enthralled with the specifics I'm hearing.
Initially, it sounded like LEGOFan would be a meeting place to more closely tie
existing resources together, with a two-way exchange of information. I'd hoped
that it would both serve as a "landing" site to help new and experienced fans
find what they're looking for throughout the myriad LEGO fan sites; as well as
help those sites send and receive information between each other. In other
words, act as a facilitator to exchange news, calendar events, hot topics, hard
data such as set info specifics, and so on between _existing_ sites.

Now, however, this looks like it is intended primarily as a replacement for
Lugnet, which I don't understand or agree with. This endeavor seems divisive
rather than cooperative within the community. This can't help the goal of
bringing the various LEGO-related communities together. I can't help but wonder,
"Today, Lugnet; tomorrow, [insert web site name here]"?

I fully embrace the idea of a more centralized resource to help channel users
and information throughout the LEGO online world. But I can't see how this
implementation, as I currently understand it, would do that.

I strongly recommend publishing a detailed "mission statement" and specification
of what functionality (not necessarily code) the LEGOFan team intends to
develop, BEFORE development gets much further along. In addition, I feel it's
important to state as soon as possible (if it isn't already too late) the level
of expectation you intend to solicit and receive from owners of existing web
resources (such as Lugnet, FBTB.net, Classic Castle, BZPower, 1000steine,
BrickLink, BrickShelf, and LEGO's discussion boards, to name a very few). If
this is to be a community-owned project, the community should know what that
project is.

Looking forward to hearing more details about LEGOFan.net.

Regards,
Kelly
BZPower.com