 Organizations / 689
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:53:44 GMT

<snip>

But if a developer creates a really cool module, and the LEGOFan.net • system
administrators are some jerks that will not put his module into the • central
site, he has all the code and data needed to set up a competing and (due • to his
new module) much cooler site.
<snip>

It sounds like anyone can take the entire contents of LEGOFan.net and create
their own version. This doesn't sound right to me.  I understand that the
server side code to display the contents of the site will be open source.
Yes, I can download a copy of that and run it on my server.  The content, on
the other hand, is a different matter.

Does this mean that all the content that will be added to the LEGOFan.net
site will be "open source"?  That doesn't sound right.  So what this means
is you can get a copy of the source to run your own site but you will have
to start from scratch with new content.  That's not really competing.  Is
anybody going to "compete" with the millions of pictures on brickshelf?  Is
anybody going to compete with the millions of posts to lugnet?

Well, maybe.  There's that whole "build a better mousetrap" thing and all.
Maybe if a new site pops up and has way cooler features, LEGOFan.net will
just be a memory (along with brickshelf, lugnet, etc.).

Abe