 Organizations / 707
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:43:41 GMT

Abe Friedman wrote:

But if a developer creates a really cool module, and
the LEGOFan.net system administrators are some jerks
that will not put his module into the central site, he
has all the code and data needed to set up a competing
and (due to his new module) much cooler site.

It sounds like anyone can take the entire contents of
LEGOFan.net and create their own version.

That's also exactly what I wrote.

This doesn't sound right to me.

Why?  It will really push the group operating LEGOFan.net
to keep doing their best.  Isn't that good?

I understand that the server side code to display the
contents of the site will be open source. Yes, I can
download a copy of that and run it on my server.  The
content, on the other hand, is a different matter.

Why?

Does this mean that all the content that will be
added to the LEGOFan.net site will be "open source"?

That's what I wrote.  LEGOFan.net will of course not be
able to force other sites to do the same.  And I have a
strong suspicion that for example LEGO and the Bricksmiths
would like that there also was an alternative option.

On the other hand - both LEGO and the Bricksmiths seem to
be happy with Lugnet, where they hand over just as many
rights as publishing under an Open Source license would
mean.

That doesn't sound right.

Why?

So what this means is you can get a copy of the source
to run your own site but you will have to start from
scratch with new content.

No.  Also with all the old content.  That's the whole
point.

That's not really competing.

But it is, if you read what I write, instead of just
saying "that can't be true".

Play well,

Jacob
--