 Off-Topic / Debate / 6670
Re: My point.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:58:59 GMT

You're right.  All those things I said I had never done against you, though,
carry along for everyone else on Lugnet.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Are you saying you are some sort of martyr
for all of LUGNET versus me?

Certainly not, I apologise for not being clear.

What I meant was, when I said I had not personally insulted you, you took
umbrage because the conversation was suddenly about you and I- I meant only to
widen the scope of my statements, ie, "I have not personally insulted anyone on
Lugnet, I have not posted *just* to make anyone on Lugnet upset", etc.

Why is it my job to judge where the line is?

As you are a member of society. You have a obligation to think of others, and
generally be a nice guy. You don't have to succeed, just try.

The pamphlet I got on joining society didn't say anything about having to think
about other people's feelings.  Maybe they give out a different one in
Scotland.

In all seriousness, though, I think you missed the point of what I wrote:  I
don't feel I need to judge whether or not I'm cutting too deeply, or saying
things too upsetting, because I'm not making personal comments.  If I make
anything even close to a personal comment, it's restricted to my feelings about
the way someone is behaving in public, and I don't feel that I should need to
mollycoddle anyone on that subject.  If the person feels they aren't acting in
a bad way, then my feeling that they are (and saying so) shouldn't matter to
them.  If it does sting, then maybe that person should think about not behaving
in that way.

eric