 Off-Topic / Debate / 23898
Re: Color Change - color names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 06:13:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, David Gregory wrote:
   Awesome naming method! I had just gotten used to calling old/classic Grays & Browns “True Gray” & “True Brown,” and the new grays and browns “false gray” and “false brown.” I like your nomenclature better though. I think I’ll start using it.

We could also call the new dark gray “Confederate gray” and thus equate it with the evilness of slavery.

Why stop there? Call it Nazi Death-Slaver Grey and you get the whole spectrum.

OK, now that’s just over the line. Assigning a color as “Nazi” is bad enough, but adding “Death Slaver” to it pushes it over. Don’t like the color change? Fine. But I personally take exception when someone associates a relatively minor change in LEGO materials to WWII Nazi slavery. It’s simply not appropriate when discussing a toy, especially one with a massive market share in Germany as well as the rest of Europe.

FYI, you might find this post of interest:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=731

Though I get the impression that “Wehrmachtsgrau” doesn’t necessarily imply “Nazi” but military or army gray, instead. At least Babel Fish says it means “Armed forces-grey”.

Mark