 Off-Topic / Debate / 16143
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:29:06 GMT

I dismiss outright the assertion that either side has ANY MORE RIGHT than
their neighbors to live in that part of the world.  I dismiss outright any
attempt to raise religious beliefs as if they were as rigorous or as
important as historical facts.  I dismiss any attempt to stall talks of
peace simply because of ongoing violence -- the whole point is to STOP THE
VIOLENCE!

The very state of war is dehumanizing, it makes its participants into
something less reasonable than even the most ill-tempered animals.  Neither
side is innocent in this dispute.  Any attempts to pretend otherwise is
obviously propaganda for one side or the other.

I favor peace, and I try very hard to not take sides.  I wish some of you
could do the same.  If everyone did this, we might just achieve that
increasingly rare thing -- peace!

The Palestinian people have been taught, almost since birth, to hate Israel
and Jews.  You can’t find a map in a Palestinian school that shows the
nation of Israel.  The hatred is deep and intense … and no negotiations or
negotiated peace agreements are going to bring peace to this situation.  The
homicide bombings will continue.  The only way for a true peace to become a
reality in the Middle East is for one side or the other to achieve a
complete military victory.  Appeasement got us where we are … victory can
bring peace.

Actually believing that some group of people somewhere in the world thinks
and acts in a substantially different manner than oneself is probably some
kind of mental illness.

"Mental illness" to believe that people around the world act and live
differently that myself? Do you not watch the news or at least the Discovery
channel? There are thousands of different cultures all over the world with
different ideas on how to act and think. I personally don't live with the
idea that it's ok let my son go out into the world with explosives strapped
to his body and become a homicide bomb, but there seems to be a some groups
of people that believe this is a valid idea and support it. Am I suffering
from a metal illness for believing this fact about other people?

There is no "Us and Them" -- there is just Us.

When it comes down to protecting my family and my families' way of life
there is a "us and them", "us" being the people who enjoy the freedoms that
my country has and the "them" is those who wish to take those freedoms away.
I do believe that all men (and women) are created equal, but what each
person does with their lives after that moment is where the problems seem to
occur.

-- Hop-Frog