 Off-Topic / Debate / 16132
Re: Conflict in the Middle East
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:28:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
This is from my memory, so don't recite too loudly! Dan Jassim • probably
could give your question more justice.

I have never visited but. I think the short answer is "both". On the • edge of
the town of Jenin exists a refugee camp which has probably housed • refugees
since the War of Independence in 1948/49 when the Palestinians now in • the
camp were forced from Israel into what was then Jordan. After the war, • the
Israelis refused to let them return as they claim:
a) They left under their own free will (a dubious claim).
b) Their return would mean that Israel would not have had the desired
cultural mix (an interesting argument).

Israel then invaded the area of Jordan we know as the West Bank in the • 6-day
war ('67).

I imagine Jenin town is the kind of town one would expect to see in • that
region of the world. Jenin camp is basically what I would call a • shantytown
- poorly constructed breeze-block dwellings with poor services. Around
13,000 people lived in the "camp".

When the refugees were forced from their homes in the War of • Independence
they left behind their whole lives to live in some of the most densely
populated places on the planet. The predicament of these people and • the land
occupied in '67 is at the root of Palestinian "resistance".

Quite a bit of video coverage on the BBC news.
Israelis said they bulldozed half the town as it was booby trapped.

Look at Israel’s history since ’47. Look at the current conflict. Do you
think Sharon sent in the army and imposed a virtual press blackout with a
plan to drink sweet tea, hand out fruit and talk peace? Really?

The Palestinian's agree it (Jenin) was heavily defended. I think it is their
right to do this.  The Geneva convention allows subjugated peoples to use
“all available means including armed struggle” to defend themselves.
Remember, Israel is a belligerent power with a shocking human rights record.

Scott A

lawrence