 Off-Topic / Debate / 12341
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:19:20 GMT

Let me restate, unless you believe slavery and theft are OK, no matter how
trifling the justification for them, communism is immoral. So is any mixed
economy, actually, but less so.

Slavery and theft indeed. How objective you are.

Thank you.

Materialism in western
society is the current norm. You should not feel that anything else is
"immoral".

No idea what you're trying to say there.

Look at it this way. You claim communism is "immoral" due to what you term
"slavery and theft". Yet, my understanding of communism  leads me to
understand that it provides shelter, education and healthcare based on need.
The system you favour provides these items based on ability to pay. If I
were to claim one of these system were immoral, I know which it would be.

It must be asked why the US victimises this country due to what
you call "immoral" politics/economics, but is eager trade with others (China
& Vietnam) and defends one of the most brutal murderous of countries:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1258000/1258187.stm

Any answers?

Yes. The US is a mixed economy, not a libertarian one, or an anarcho
capitalist one, or even a plain old capitalist one. Therefore its policy is
not what you would see from any of those.

I don't support US foreign policy (with rare exceptions) and specifically
don't in the cases you cite.

So you're right about the policies being bad but it's irrelevant.

I don't think it is. The USA's action towards Cuba is a complete
contradiction to what it does elsewhere.

I have one : $

I can't be quite as terse in answer, but "no".

Yes.

Scott A