 Off-Topic / Debate / 12305
Re: Cuba
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:50:30 GMT

Communism is based on the premise that some central mechanism can determine
the right quantities of everything for everyone, obviating the need for
individual choices. It's based on the premise that people should work hard
and not get the fruits of their labors, but rather suffer the consequences
of the central mechanism's mistakes.

Capitalism is based on the premise that no central mechanism can do as well
at determining the right quantities as well as individual choice. It's based
on the premise that people should work hard or not, as they choose, and
suffer the consequences individually.

That makes capitalism moral and communism immoral. That's a good enough
argument right there. Further, you can show from a utilitarian basis that
central mechanisms fail (and markets work) to maximise utility. That's a
good enough argument right there.

   I can't agree--it only makes the "moral call" that way if your
   personal values are based on individualism instead of the common
   good.  Those values are nurtured in a capitalist system, so it's
   a self-replicating system, IMHO.

Finally, communist states seem to have the nasty habit of territorial
aggrandisement. That's a good enough argument right there.

   No more so than any other system of governance (and perhaps less,
   given the "have-not" economics from which Communist movements
   drew most of their early strength).  The whole "exported world
   revolution" spiel got quietly socked away in 1922, and aside from
   the 1939-1940 USSR wars and Tibet I can't think of a single case of
   "territorial aggrandizement" that doesn't involve a chunk that
   tried to break away during the change in government (e.g., Taiwan,
   Ukraine, etc).  The "communist bloc" of the Cold War doesn't count
   any more than the Marshall Plan and NATO count as examples of
   "Capitalist territorial aggrandizement."  Revolution isn't
   territorial aggrandizement, even if it's sponsored and promoted
   by a traceable source (again, something the West has been far
   better at than the East since the 1700s).

   Just my quick point of nitpickination.

   best

   LFB