 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 15
Re: Mega Bloks Overview and review of Legends Viking Ship and Creature Seakers Naval Command
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:27:47 GMT

Frank Filz wrote in message ...
:What's the 3rd set?

I stupidly bought Outlaw's Cabin (OC) on clearance at TRU for $5. It
was my first MB set and all I knew was the price per piece was far
less than Lego. This is one of the WORST packages ever made by a toy
manufacturer. It makes the Viking ship look like a gem. After OC the
only thing that made me give MB a second chance was that really cool
looking Viking Ship for $8. I really think the ship is great.

:Not that I plan to buy anymore Mega Blocks.  I think I am mostly a
Lego
:purist and other than the weak moment at picking up the MB bucket,
the two
:sets I got I got because they had major pieces that really interested
me, at
:this point, I could about leave the basic bricks behind, and probably
many
:of the minor unique pieces.

Let us know if you want to unload.

:I must admit that I did some thinking about some of the other sets.
The
:large ocatgonal "hull" piece looks  mildly interesting, but I wonder
how
:well it really works. The race track set is a neat idea, but I never
played
:much with those type of race track sets as a kid (though I supose if
they
:had been compatible with Lego, I might have played more, but then as
a kid,
:about the most specialized Lego piece I ever was exposed to was the
old blue
:train rails), so what would I really gain.

Since I only have 2 opened sets it is hard to say, but my theory is
that the "hull type" pieces are the problem pieces for MB. The thin
walled wall things are a play oriented Town Jr.-type package, but that
MB is not able to set manufacturing tolerances fine enough to get them
to fit well. Put it this way, they fit much worse than the MB bricks.

:I have looked at a few other sets recently, it looks like they really
do
:make heavy use of the small set of special pieces they have.

Which would imply - if they could just get the quality right - that
old-fashioned Lego buildiers would be more interested in them than in
the Town Jr./toy-type stuff since they often use very basic parts to
make structures. Of course then they also make modular houses a la
Outlaw's Cabin.

:>:CREATURE SEAKERS NAVAL COMMAND (SET 9101 - 575 pcs)
:>:
:>The pieces which are supposed to be large windows on the
:>:cabin were made of an opaque blue - yucko!
:>
:>Richard Schamus once posted somewhere that MB will send you
:>transparent replacements if you ask them.
:
:I supose it would be worth doing so, though I doubt I would make too
much
:use of them (though if I could figure out a way to get 20 or 30 or
so, it
:would be an interesting alternate window).

Let us know if you're ready to purge your collection.

:>I haven't opened this set yet. Waiting for a good time.
:
:It might be a fun beach set (after all, how much would you care if
you lost
:a few pieces...),

But I am kind of cheap - why I give MB a try - so I would hate to lose
pieces.

DJ Zorn

To locate scans of official instructions
for discontinued sets only go to:
http://www.kl.net/scans/