 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 13
Re: Mega Bloks Overview and review of Legends Viking Ship and Creature Seakers Naval Command
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:44:28 GMT

Janet Zorn wrote in message ...
Nice review.

It is interesting that these are 2 of only 3 MB sets I have.

What's the 3rd set?

Not that I plan to buy anymore Mega Blocks.  I think I am mostly a Lego
purist and other than the weak moment at picking up the MB bucket, the two
sets I got I got because they had major pieces that really interested me, at
this point, I could about leave the basic bricks behind, and probably many
of the minor unique pieces.

I must admit that I did some thinking about some of the other sets. The
large ocatgonal "hull" piece looks  mildly interesting, but I wonder how
well it really works. The race track set is a neat idea, but I never played
much with those type of race track sets as a kid (though I supose if they
had been compatible with Lego, I might have played more, but then as a kid,
about the most specialized Lego piece I ever was exposed to was the old blue
train rails), so what would I really gain.

I have looked at a few other sets recently, it looks like they really do
make heavy use of the small set of special pieces they have.

<heresy about to be spoken on Lugnet>

Maybe TLG could learn from MB about what kinds of sets they could make
more of.

:
:LEGENDS VIKING SHIP (SET 9604 - 370 pcs)
:
The figure accessories are great with this set. Nice broad swords, and
armor that I use as flack jackets.
:
:CREATURE SEAKERS NAVAL COMMAND (SET 9101 - 575 pcs)
:
The pieces which are supposed to be large windows on the
:cabin were made of an opaque blue - yucko!

Richard Schamus once posted somewhere that MB will send you
transparent replacements if you ask them.

I supose it would be worth doing so, though I doubt I would make too much
use of them (though if I could figure out a way to get 20 or 30 or so, it
would be an interesting alternate window).

I haven't opened this set yet. Waiting for a good time.

It might be a fun beach set (after all, how much would you care if you lost
a few pieces...), I do have dreams of a robotic boat (and nightmares of
trying to make a RCX come to life again after a swim...)

Frank Filz