 MediaWatch / 2557
Re: LEGO Group and Disney Announce Strategic Licensing Relationship for 2010
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general, lugnet.disney
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 03:43:58 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Laswell wrote:
Courts ruled in favor of Slesinger
Inc. this time, and certain licensing agreements between Disney and the Milne
estate were voided as a result.

I don't know the specifics of those agreements, but as I recall, part of it was
what allowed Disney to sub-license the property to The LEGO Company in the first
place.

Whoa, that's convoluted--thanks for dredging it all up for me.  I confess now
that I'd had a little brain-fart; I totally forgot that LEGO put out Disney/Pooh
sets a few years back.  I could only remember as far back as the Mega Bloks
Disney/Pooh sets, which were (IIRC) in their "Mega" scale, which is larger than
Duplo but not compatible with Primo.  When you mentioned the licensing snafu, my
first thought was that Mega Bloks had gotten drawn into something not completely
legit, but if that's the case then maybe both LEGO and MB got hosed the same.

I know that I saw Mega Bloks Pooh sets on the shelf as recently as 2 1/2 years
ago, but I can't say how much longer they were available after that.  Mega Bloks
*did* recently start making a line of "Mickey's Clubhouse" sets, so at least
that part of the Disney license is apparently still fresh.

Wild story--thanks again for the info.

Dave!