 MediaWatch / 1859
Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:54:36 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Thomas Main wrote:

   As long as we are in a speculative mood...why does TLG want to raise money. Are they contemplating opening a factory in China? Is $450M+ enough to do this?

Oh, I know...they need the cash to buy a slew of new molds for a new as well as classic door and window system!

-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com

Ok, replying to my own post...here are some more reasons TLG might want to raise cash (all purely speculative, of course):
  • They are going to attempt to *buy* MegaBloks
  • KKK and family is seeking an early retirement
  • Realizing Galidor failed because of low up-front investment, a new, revamped Galidor II line will not suffer the same fate as the company is going to put all it resources behind it this time.
  • They are going to use the money to invest heavily in their Lego brand stores because Wal*mart is not carrying enough Lego stock.
  • They are going to use the cash to close down Lego brand stores because they are not making money.
  • Now that Lego Affiliates are creating brand awareness, the parks are redundant
  • They will make more money by selling the new owners large Lego sculptures instead of having to give them away.
  • They value disorganization and multi-level business practices because it makes the work day more fun for employees
  • They would rather sell the parks so someone else has to take the blame for layoffs
  • KKK wants to assert his own mark on the compnay by killing all of his father’s ideas.
  • It seemed like a good idea after a particularly nauseating tilt-a-whirl ride.
-- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com