 General / 50909
  LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

Financially troubled Danish toy maker LEGO® Holdings is about to sell four of the biggest bricks in its empire — its LEGOLAND theme parks. Danish media have speculated that Blackstone Group, a New York-based private equity firm is close to an (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX) !

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

(...) The key to this article is the word "speculated". I've just read on our intranet that this rumor is not true. Apparently, we are still in negotiations with more than one party. Jake --- Jake McKee Community Liaison LEGO Community Team (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

(...) Just a short note... I am just reading the information based on wired services and other news outlets online. And yes the information is "speculated" not true information. (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

In lugnet.general, Abner Finley wrote: (snip) (...) Jake said the key word is "speculated"... to me, the key word is "head scratcher" (well that's two words)! I still don't see why LEGO want to do this, the amount of money they get back seems a (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) As long as we are in a speculative mood...why does TLG want to raise money. Are they contemplating opening a factory in China? Is $450M+ enough to do this? Oh, I know...they need the cash to (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

(...) Ok, replying to my own post...here are some more reasons TLG might want to raise cash (all purely speculative, of course): They are going to attempt to *buy* MegaBloks KKK and family is seeking an early retirement Realizing Galidor failed (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

(...) Last year 2004, LEGO had a net loss of about $335 million That might have something to do with it. Marc Nelson Jr. (URL) Marc's Creations>> (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

(...) Faced with a loss, tactical managers keep doing what they were doing but sell off valuable/strategic assets (or lay off key people) in order to raise cash to keep afloat a while longer and avoid the day of reckoning. Faced with a loss, (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)

  Re: LEGO® is near an agreement to sell its LEGOLAND theme parks

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote: Snip (...) I think it could be extremely shrewd. The parks will always have to rely on the company for bricks and sets to sell. For example in Saint Louis, Anheuser-Busch used to own the baseball stadium (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland, FTX)