 Marketplace / Theory / 2427
Re: How many unique minifig faces are there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:41:36 GMT

In lugnet.build.minifigs, Mark Jordan writes:
Reverend,

I am sure that there is now a whole class of people who feel obligated to
collect every head.

You're probably right, Mark, and as I was scanning all those heads I thought
about whether or not I should try to collect one of every head myself.  I
felt a certain urge to go for it, but then I worried that I'd be doing it
just for collection's sake.  It seemed a slippery slope to go from getting
one of every head to getting a mint-condition verison of each head.  And
when something is mint condition, that means you never build with it.  And
that goes against my very purpose of acquiring so many different heads in
the first place.  Sure, I'd like to have one of every minifig head, but only
because when I am building minifigs, I like to have every option available
to me so I give them just the right character.

Although I like to build in all themes, since my main project is The Brick
Testament, I'm probably not going to go way out of my way to get every last
space, alien, or bespectacled minifig head.

So, by your action, I am sure you have now caused an increase in the value of
certain rare heads!

Oops.  Sorry about that.  But I think this sort of thing was bound to
happen.  I just hope the usefulness of the minifig face catalog I've put
together offsets any unintended negative side effects.  So just think about
that next time you plunk down $8 on Bricklink for a Nestle Quick bunny head.
@8^)

Suggestion - heads are not just ordinary pieces. Surely we need a rating system
against them so we can know Lugnet's favourite....

It would be fun to know what heads are people's favorites.  For me, heads
fall into two main catagories: 1) Those that have so much character to them,
that while sometimes very cool for making one sort of minifig, you can't do
a lot else with them (examples: Willa the witch's head, the Ogel guy with
one red eye), and 2) Those that are more plain, but can be used to make all
sorts of minifig characters, across the various themes (example: Han Solo's
head makes for a generic smug character, whereas the Emperor's head is a
generic old person head).  It's sort of hard to compare the two catagories
when choosing a favorite.  But hey, if someone were to make a poll, I'd give
it a shot.

-Rev. Smith  @8^)