 Local / United States / Pennsylvania / Philadelphia / * (-5)
Subject:
DelVaLUG at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:54:00 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, successfully exhibited a group layout at the comics and pop-culture expo Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Participating members were Tim Caffrey, Roy Cook, Alice Leber-Cook, and Phillip Thorne, plus new members and first-time exhibitors Arthur Stromberg and Amy.

Set up in a 10x10-foot parcel near the front of the show (amidst the major corporate exhibitors), the layout was 6 Fleske-modules in size, in a “J” shape, and featured one train loop, two trains, seven buildings, numerous vehicles, and a plethora of minifigs; including:
  • The Hall of Justice
  • Four Freedoms Plaza
  • Café Corner
  • A dark variant of Café Corner
  • Interpretations of robot-mode Bumblebee, Megatron, and Optimus Prime
  • Vehicle-mode Bumblebee and Ironhide (from the new movie)
  • The three-segment Fantasticar (from the new movie)
  • Official minifigs from Batman, Harry Potter, and Spider-Man
  • Custom minifigs from the Fantastic Four, Justice League, Spider-Man III, and X-Men
An article about the show, with one photo of the exhibit, appeared in the Monday 18 June 2007 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer. About 80 people added themselves to the club’s email announcement list (for post-show photos and upcoming-show announcements), including several likely prospects for new members. The exhibit cross-promoted Philcon 2007, which is likely to be our next major activity.

Subject:
DelVaLUG to exhibit at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:16:16 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, will be exhibiting at the Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007. The event is held at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Featured elements of the display will be custom models tied to three of this summer’s action movies: “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” “Spider-Man 3,” and “The Transformers.”

Behind the scenes: This is an event that DelVaLUG members first proposed before the 2006 show, but we finally approached Wizard Entertainment this April. You have to be diplomatic when cold-calling, and cite the right advantages; but they were very happy to have us. After all, the company isn’t just comic books -- it does publish the magazines ToyFare and ToyWishes, so a toy-based display that can adapt itself to the show’s themes is definitely appropriate.

We’ll be using this event for AFOL promotion and club recruitment; the product literature distributed at BrickFest will be used. Since I’m deeply involved with the Philcon SF convention, I’ll also be promoting that. It’s not a big segue; a matter of “Oh, and we’ll be appearing later this year at Philcon -- different theme, much more convivial, and you get to build with the parts.”

Subject:
DelVaLUG at Philcon 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:50:57 GMT

PHILCON is a three-day science fiction convention held annually since 1935 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. As an AFOL and operator of the con’s Children’s Program (since 2003), I initiated a LEGO sub-track in 2004. (Report to LUGNET.) This year it had a slightly different location and a much greater turnout.

Although GardenSLUGger Eric Sophie was unable to return this year (his giant robots are always crowd-pleasers), I instead had the assistance of fellow DelVaLUG member Joe Cook. (The rest of DelVaLUG was exhibiting at a train show the same weekend.)

Being an SF con, the sensible model themes were Space, Space Replica, and Mecha. Since I had to carry everything to the hotel (models, bulk brick, other Kids Prog supplies) the sensible scale was Micro. (Castle would also be compatible, but it’s not one of my own themes.)

In addition to 20 of my own models, and 3 from Joe, I had 14 “virtual” contributions from 3 well-known SF micro-builders -- that is, I recreated their posted designs with my own brick supply, and identified the originators with MOC cards. (To wit: Jason Allemann, Brian Cooper, and Chris Deck of Germany. My plan to build a copy of Chris Doyle’s “Snack Sized Serenity” fell through.)

Over the weekend, some 20 attendees (both youngster and adult) built 28 models (more if you count individual customized minifigs), some of them drawing upon leftover fragments of my own models. There’s more exuberance than skill in many, but that very separation from AFOLdom resulted in some very interesting parts use.

Photos of the display, at-con MOCs, and happy builders are in this Brickshelf gallery. It also includes a spreadsheet (MS Excel and CSV versions) detailing the models.

The Display and Build were located in the front of the large room dedicated to Gaming, just off of and visible from the con’s Registration and Info area, resulting in lots of foot traffic. They ran all-day Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday it was adjacent to a contingent from the FIRST Robotics League. To prevent the display of micro-ships from resembling a tabletop parking lot, I built a “docking spire” of Znap pieces to elevate them.

Activities:
  • Display
  • Open Build
  • “LEGO Gaming 101”
  • “BrickQuest”-derived “Harry Potter”-themed game
  • “LEGO Builder X-Treme” board game
Activities that did not happen:
  • Micro Moonbase Themed Build fell through (I didn’t get to build any explanatory samples)
  • Impressive MOCs slide shows (returning item)
  • Stop-motion film fest (returning item)
  • Large-scale space combat sim (the con’s semi-theme was Mil-SF, thanks to Author GoH David Weber and Artist GoH David Mattingly, his cover artist)

Re: Introducing Pennlug?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi.har, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi.rea
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:50:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Michael Gibney wrote:
  A New L.U.G in Pennsylvania?? I certainly don't want to see presumptious in
naming a new L.U.G., but I figured it hadda have something more than "genricaly
named until something better comes along Lego User Group" Are you in the
Harrisburg/York/Lancaster area?  Are you an AFOL?  Would you like to try to
continue what Jim Foulds started?  you may email me at
goldcreekbricks@hotmail.com or respond here.  I know there are more out there.
I saw your names on that list at zainy brainy for the maxifigs when it was going
out of business!!  You've exposed yourselves!

hope to hear from many of you soon!
Mike Gibney

Hello Mike,

I'm posting this to a few other groups in hope it reaches a wider, but still
focused area.  I'm assuming "rea" is Reading.  Did you see that DelVaLug has a
display at the Greenburg Show in Fort Washington - THIS WEEKEND!  I was not even
aware of it until a few minutes ago.  I may be able to get down to it tomorrow -
Sunday.

-Patrick

Re: Report on LEGO events at Philcon 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:17:30 GMT

In lugnet.events on 16 Dec 2004, Phillip Thorne wrote:
   The first annual LEGO Sub-Track at the Philcon SF
convention this past weekend was a great success. [...]
(Photos to follow.)

Okay, so it took a while; but here we are:

MOCPages page describing the eight Open Build MOCs
Brickshelf folder (with subfolders) for Open Build, QuikWars, and exhibit.

The pics are intentionally small for bandwidth reasons; please contact me for larger versions. Enjoy. And attend Philcon 2005, whooo!

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact