 Local / United States / Illinois / *513 (-5)
Re: New iPaB Wall View on BrickBuildr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:37:26 GMT

In lugnet.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
   Now here’s the tricky bit, before I can finish setting up a store in iPaB, I need to know the dimensions of the PaB wall. Does anyone know how big the PaB walls are for the Chicago area stores? Once I know how big a store’s wall is (in terms of rows & columns), I can go ahead and un-hide the store.

Thanks,
--Mike.

I’ll make sure to gather that info when I’m there. I’ll be going to the store in the Northbrook Mall, the Woodfield store in Schaumburg and possibly the new Discovery Center close to the Woodfield Mall.

David

Subject:
Article on LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Chicago area
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:08:50 GMT

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/lifestyles/1081876,3_5_EL31_LEGOS_S1.article

Block party
Legoland Discovery Center in Schaumburg is first in the US

July 31, 2008

By MIKE DANAHEY Staff Writer
Had Led Zeppelin recorded a song called Whole Lotta Legos instead of Whole Lotta
Love, it would be on Dan Morey's iPod.

Morey, a carpenter by trade and graduate of Nequa Valley High School in
Naperville, is a master builder at the new LEGOLAND Discovery Centre on the
Streets of Woodfield in Schaumburg. He will be busy showing children what they
can create with the plastic blocks.

Morey also will build his own objects of art.

"With it (almost) being football season, I'd like to make a model of Soldier
Field," he said. "I figure it would take about three to four months working by
myself."

The Soldier Field replica would fit nicely in the "Miniland" cityscape of
Chicago, an impressive display of downtown architecture.

Morey's first creation -- a jumbo Chicago-style hot dog (mustard, no ketchup)
made from more than 700 LEGO pieces -- greets guests entering the
30,000-square-foot fun town. To get to the hot dog, guests must pass through a
giant Lego giraffe standing over the doorway of the first indoor amusement park
of its kind in the United States.

It's a LEGO lovers dream.

There is a Hall of Fame with LEGO models of Batman, Darth Vader and characters
from the Harry Potter saga; the Dragon Ride through a castle replete with LEGO
bats, knights, damsels, a chef in shackles and a fire-breathing dragon; a Jungle
Expedition of LEGO animals; and a faux factory where guests learn how LEGOs are
made.

There even is an old man made of LEGOs sleeping on a park bench, a Lego bust of
Albert Einstein and a store selling LEGOs to take home.

The center will change exhibits every three to four months, said attraction
manager Mike Pastor of Joliet, who also said there will be special events for
certain holidays.

Pastor said LEGOLAND also is working to partner with another attraction, the
joust-and-dine Medieval Times, and will offer educational outings for schools.

LEGOLAND has a movie room, too, currently showing Spellbreaker, a 4-D flick
about a medieval blacksmith who, with the aid of his lady, a jester and a
friendly young dragon, saves his land from a band of marshmallow-headed ghost
skeletons. The fourth dimension includes simulated wind, rain, snow and more.

On the center's second floor is the Build and Test area, where children can play
with LEGOs on a speed ramp, on an earthquake table or wherever their
imaginations take them.

It all went over well with Schaumburg's Campanelli YMCA campers, who visited
Friday in advance of today's grand opening.

"I liked the race cars and Batman," said Logan Caro, 6, of Hoffman Estates.

The race cars, Batman and the LEGO version of Chicago topped the list of fellow
campers Rohan Pathak, 9, of Schaumburg, Ajai Rajeev, 9, of Streamwood, Nikolas
Pohlschmidt, 8, of Hoffman Estates, Harshita Kumbham, 8, of Schaumburg, and
Julie Pallas, 8, of Elk Grove Village.

The two "Golden Brick" winners who received a free tour were Claire Strother, 8,
and Garrett Strother, 10, who both enjoyed the jungle area.

"I liked the Indiana Jones," said Garrett.

"And I liked all the animals," said Claire.

Taking it all in, wearing a big smile and a bright red golf shirt, was Joseph
Tiesch of Frankfort, who works at the center as an entertainer.

"I've always been a big LEGO fan," said Tiesch, who studied broadcasting in
college. "When I saw a pamphlet that they were hiring, I applied right away.
What I like about the job is it's great to see kids having such a good time, to
see that they liked LEGOs as much as I did when I was a kid."

Subject:
BrickWorld Highlights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.fun, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 02:31:09 GMT

As many others have said already on LUGNET, BrickWorld was a fantastic event! All of us coordinators were blown away by the attendance at this very first year for BrickWorld. Here are some event highlights that I really enjoyed:

• Watching a new motorized Monster Dino smash its way down 12 feet of town layout and then push a Knight Bus off the table at the end
• Drinking enough root beer at the Ram to give a horse diabetes
• The look on my face when Steve Witt gave out the gold C-3PO’s (or so Jeramy tells me)
• Watching Jan Beyer and Steve Hassenplug line up the engraved BrickWorld minifigs in a row and knock them over like dominos
• Seeing the white stress marks on John Neal’s Pick-A-Brick tubs and feeling that they weighed about 15 pounds each
• Seeing the displays on the news (all 20 seconds of it) ; )
• Realizing Monday morning that I had forgotten to lock my car on Sunday night after I packed everything in it, and finding that it hadn’t been touched
• Finding that the Woodfield store had just gotten Market Street sets back in on Monday morning before I got there

See everyone in 2008!

David

Subject:
Chicago Bears logo mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mosaic, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 22:51:49 GMT

Using the PicToBrick program, I have made a 48X48 studs-out mosaic of the Chicago Bears NFL logo.

Once I had downloaded PicToBrick (and enough auxilliary components to get it to run), I had a lot of fun running random pictures through to see what kind of mosaic the program would generate. I thought that I would find some small square image with not too many colors and run it through PicToBrick so that I could actually build a mosaic instead of just staring at instructions for them on a computer screen. For starters I wanted to do one that would fit onto a 48X48 baseplate.

Being a Bears fan and knowing that I’d be going up to BrickWorld in Chicago in June, I thought that a mosaic of the Bears logo would be perfect. Another plus for the Bears logo choice is that it fits nicely into a square perimiter. I found a Bears logo image and brightened it a little.

Orange and white are easy enough to come by, but enough dark blue for a 48X48 version of the Bears logo would be pretty expensive. Since the logo’s blue is such a dark blue, I opted to use black instead. PicToBrick generated this instruction image:

Now that I had full instructions for a creation that was only 1 layer of bricks and only 3 colors, it wasn’t long before I had the completed mosaic:

I almost feel like a fraud by claiming to have built this “MOC” when I really only followed instructions similar to how you’d build an official LEGO set. But anyway, here it is.

Enjoy!

David “Fuzzy” Gregory

Subject:
HoB 2006, one month away
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.houseofbricks, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.in, lugnet.loc.us.mi, lugnet.loc.us.oh, lugnet.loc.us.mo, lugnet.loc.us.ia, lugnet.loc.us.ky
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:40:19 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is a friendly reminder that Chicago House of Bricks is rapidly approaching. Come join us May 12-14 in Downer’s Grove, Illinois! Please be sure to register soon if you plan to attend.

Visit our website for more information.

We hope to see you there!

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact