 Local / Luxembourg / *26 (-10)
Subject:
LEGO Legend #10041 European prices and shipping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.at, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.ch, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.dk, lugnet.loc.es, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:17:06 GMT

Hello all,

The rest of the European prices for LEGO Legend set #10041 (remake of set
#6390 - Main Street) just appeared on Shop at Home: EURO 69.99,
Denmark: DKK 49.95, Sweden: SEK 639.00, Switzerland: CHF 109.90

It also states that the set will ship by 22 Jan 2003, almost a month earlier
than in North America.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

[FUT to loc.eu]

Subject:
LEGO Legend set #10041 to Europe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.at, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.ch, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.dk, lugnet.loc.es, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.loc.se, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:12:08 GMT

Hello all,

I've spotted the LEGO Legend set #10041 (remake of set #6390 - Main Street)
in the new UK 2003 Shop at Home catalog, price £49,99 (British Pounds). This
confirms the set will be available for European Shop at Home customers also.
We might also be first again, for the European release date the catalog
said: "Not available to ship until end of January 2003"

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

[FUT to loc.eu]

Subject:
LEGO®WORLD 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:14:12 GMT

LEGO®WORLD 2002,

Maybe you have already heard something about this, but here is the offical
announcement. From October 18 until October 22, The IJsselhallen in Zwolle, The
Netherlands will be once again be devoted to LEGO, as then probbaly Europes
biggest LEGO-event LEGO®WORLD 2002 will be held.

Last year, LEGO®WORLD 2001 was a big succes with over 27.500 visitors.
Unfortunately many people had to be disappointed, as it was to crowded to let
more people in. Therefore this year the event will be even larger then last
year. Not only will the event now last 5 days instead of 4, but more
importantly the floor size will be double as big as last year.

LEGO will show a lot of very nice things this year again and also the dutch
LEGO users group 'De Bouwsteen' (The Buildingbrick) will be present again. Last
year very many people were interested in our own creations. There were so many
people present in our area that it was even hard to walk around there.
Therefore we will have this year a much larger area to show all creations and
it seems to be very interesting what we will display.

What will be there to see:
Of course LEGO is present with a huge amount of nice things to see and of
course there are LEGO building contests. I don't know all the details of what
they will show but last year they had very nice things.
I can tell you more about what 'De Bouwsteen' will show, because I'm one of the
people organising the part of the event which will be filled in by De
Bouwsteen.

Trains.
This year there will be again a huge train layout with many trains and scenery.
The trains will go through mountains and over bridges. One of the bridges will
span a long distance without any kind support. A masterpiece of building
technique.

Miniland.
Connected to the train layout is Steendam. The Miniland city of the members of
De Bouwsteen. We asked all our members to build a city building on a 32x32
baseplate. With about 450 members, this will become one of the biggest LEGO
cities you have ever seen.

Trade and sale
Of course you have the possibility to buy new LEGO sets at the event, but there
will also be a possibility to buy second hand LEGO or try to trade your LEGO
with that of others.

Historical overview:
Whereas in the section of LEGO many of the newest sets will be displayed, De
Bouwsteen has an area where a lot of older LEGO sets will be displayed. Bring
back the memories of your childhood and look at the sets you always wanted to
see in realtiy

Own creations.
What is a LEGO users group without any own creations? Many of our members have
made beautiful models which they will show during LEGO WORLD. Enormous,
detailed buildings and cranes are only a few of the creations that will be
shown.

Demonstrations:
This is the time to find out what you can do with LEGO. Of course we will show
you how to work with Mindstorms. Also you can learn everything about LDraw to
build fantastic models in on the computer. Rather want to work with the real
bricks? Then look at the special techniques demonstrations where you can learn
a lot of tricks to make your models to look nicer.

Diner
On one or more evenings we will organize a diner for LEGO fans in a restaurant
nearby LEGO WORLD 2002. Here we have the opportunity to relax from the event
and talk to eachother about everything connected to LEGO.

Tickets
Tickets will be availble at the Intertoys toy stores in the Netherlands
starting August 26. For foreign people we'll try to find a solution so that
they can also buy there tickets in advance. We didn't find the perfect solution
yet, but we are working on it. For the time being, people interested in tickets
are adviced to contact me via e-mail.

Lodging
A large number of volunteers and exhibitors will stay in holiday park close to
Zwolle. If you are interested in joining us there, please contact me.

The organising comittee of the Bouwsteen consists of:
Sybrand Bonsma, Eric Brok, Erwin van Grinsvin, Jaco v/d Molen, Paul Wolters,
Hans Beuze, Mark v/d Horst, Rick Zonneveld and Peter van Es

Pictures and information:
Information (in Dutch) can be found on:
http://www.legoworld.nl
and
http://www.debouwsteen.com

Pictures of last years event:

On behalf of the Bouwsteen,

Sybrand Bonsma
e-mail: sbonsma@molphys.leidenuniv.nl

This message is posted in multiple newsgroups, follow-up is set to
lugnet.events

Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:24:10 GMT

I just bought the following in France:

8458                Silver Champion          117.50   !!!
3739                Blacksmith Shop          39.99
6472                Gas N'Wash Express       55.50    !
3800                Ultimate Builders Set    60.90    !!

There is a difference of at least 110 Euros with the Netherlands!
The 8458 costs overthere 219 euros! So I had to act now...
3800 about 75 euros.

SW 2002 sets are cheaper in France. While the other SW sets are cheaper
in the Netherlands.

Trains are in the Netherlands a bit cheaper.

Guido

Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:59:36 GMT

"Duq" <duq@iegateway.net> writes:

The biggest surprise came with the 8466. Everywhere it's 119/129, but in
France only 88! That's a difference of 47%!!!

The 129EUR is approximately the price in shops here (800FF).
88EUR seems very cheap, maybe I should order before they
spot their mistake?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/

Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at, lugnet.loc.it, lugnet.loc.es, lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.loc.gr
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 08:37:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.eu, James Stacey writes:
could they be running a converter on their exiasting prices - which are well
documented as being different - untill they get everything straight ??

That's probably what they did, which is a shame because they could have
seized the opportunity to level the prices throughout the euro-zone.

"Juergen Stuber" <stuber@loria.fr> wrote in message

I think it's probably decided on a per country basis,
taking into account local taxes, shipping costs and pricing habits
(.99 is much more common in Germany than France, for example).

Still that does not explain why a certain set has the same price in two
countries while another set differs as much as EUR 10,- in price in those
same two countries. Shipping costs are calculated seperately so should not
be of influence.

Wessel

Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 00:59:32 GMT

Wessel inspired me to do my own little survey. My pick was slightly
different; not so much the high end of the range, but across the themes and
prices (and more or less my own taste ;-). I found some strange stuff.......
My pick:
7191 Collector's X-wing
8466 4x4 Off-roader
9754 Darkside Developers Kit
3451 Sopwith Camel
4701 Sorting Hat (HP)
KT207 Large Engine with Tender

My countries: Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Ireland, France.
The sorting hat was the cheapest; EUR7,99 everywhere except France (7,60).
There was very little difference in the Camel; from 54,59(IRL) to 56,99(NL).
The train showed little difference (1 euro) except Ireland being cheap
(26,75 to an average 33,-)
More interesting was the DSDK; not available in Ireland, 95,25 in France and
119,- in the Netherlands. That's +25%!
A similar story for the X-wing; 185.06 in Ireland, 215,- in the Netherlands
(+16%)
The biggest surprise came with the 8466. Everywhere it's 119/129, but in
France only 88! That's a difference of 47%!!!

Other remarkable outcomes:
All sets are most expensive in the Netherlands.
No country has the lowest prices all-round.
For 7191 Ireland is by far the cheapest, France (and Holland) the most
expensive.
For 8466 it's reversed: France is cheapest, Ireland (and Holland) the most
expensive.
I converted US and Danish prices to Euro's (using today's rates from the
Universal Currency Converter) and found that the danish prices are 10%-15%
higher than the average.
In the US 7191 is dirt cheap (at EUR167,74 it's 19% below average) while
KT207 is quite expensive (at EUR39,13 it's 22% higher than average).

So far my EUR0.02.....
I've sent dutch Customer Service an email asking for an explanation. Soon as
I get an answer it'll be here.
I'll put all the figures (long live Excell) on my site (www.briqs.tmfweb.nl)
this weekend. I might put in more sets and countries if I feel inspired....

Duq

Wessel Burgers <wessel_b@yahoo.com> wrote in message
After the introduction of the new European currency three days ago, I was
very curious about what would happen to S@H's prices in the euro-zone. • What
now follows are my findings (which are by no means scientific - it just
illustrates how weird their current pricing policy is)

I picked five sets which were in the upper priceclass, and compared them
across the countries in the euro-zone. The sets I picked were:

10000 Guarded Inn
10001 Metroliner
100019 ebel Blockade Runner
6290 Red Beard Runner
6291 Armada Flagship

The countries that I compared were Germany, Holland, Belgium, Ireland,
Finland, Luxembourg and Austria. Since set 10001 is not available in • France,
I did not include this country in my mini-survey.

After I had totalled the prices of these five sets for each country, I was
able to make a rough comparisson. Here are the total prices for each • country:

BEL: EUR 534,96
LUX: EUR 534,96
GER: EUR 539,95
IRE: EUR 554,53
AUS: EUR 561,97
HOL: EUR 563,98
FIN: EUR 573,48

As you can see, you would be best of in Belgium or Luxembourg if you were • to
buy these 5 sets. The difference with Finland is EUR 38,52! (you could buy
yourself a nice set for that, depending on in which country you live of
course :). I don't know what the VAT % is for each of these countries but • I
don't think that this would be the only explanation for the differences in
price.

What's strange is that from these results you would expect that all five
sets would be cheapest in Belgium or Luxembourg, but that this is not the
case. Set 6291 for example is cheapest in Germany and Ireland (EUR 54,99),
while in the other countries it costs EUR 59,99. Another example: set • 10001
costs EUR 150 in Belgium & Luxembourg, but in Germany it's cheaper - by • one
whole eurocent!

Another weird thing: while some sets have exactly the same prices in two
countries, another set may differ as much as 10% in price between those • same
two countries. For instance, 100019 costs EUR 199,90 in both Belgium and
Germany. Set 6290 however, costs EUR 99,90 in Belgium, but EUR 109,99 in
Germany!

To me this comes across as really strange. It is almost as though someone • at
LD is making up these prices at random. I'd like your thoughts on this. • But
above all I hope LD is reading this and start scratching behind their ears
and does something about it so that everyone gets the same amount of Lego
for their Euros!

Regards,

Wessel

Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at, lugnet.loc.it, lugnet.loc.es, lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.loc.gr
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:13:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.eu, Wessel Burgers writes:
After the introduction of the new European currency three days ago, I was
very curious about what would happen to S@H's prices in the euro-zone. What
now follows are my findings (which are by no means scientific - it just
illustrates how weird their current pricing policy is)

(snip comparison)

(Your curiosity saved me the trouble of investigating myself, so I thank you
for that)

To me this comes across as really strange. It is almost as though someone at
LD is making up these prices at random. I'd like your thoughts on this. But
above all I hope LD is reading this and start scratching behind their ears
and does something about it so that everyone gets the same amount of Lego
for their Euros!

Hmmm...
I had noticed previously some differences in prices, which I attributed to
different transportation costs. I never realized such differences were
chaotic. You are absolutely right, LEGO must take actions to ensure at least
more coherent prices.

On the side, I'd like to see something else: S@H throughout Europe. The
currency is the same, and they ship from their headquarters, so why not? I
mean, it is not as if the had to implement a hotline or so, all the
structure is already there; the only new thing would be a couple of
postcodes for the Billund Post Office to handle...

Pedro

(BTW, I noticed you posted in Eurozone S@H destinations. I also X-posted to
other Eurozone countries; who knows, maybe we can show some unity on this :-)

Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:47:31 GMT

The guys at LEGO do not only make up this prices at random, in fact they
have totally lost their minds. The UCS X-Wing now costs 209 EUR. That's
madness - it's even more expensive than the Rebel Blockade Runner now. And
talking about the amount of Lego we get for our Euros, almost all new sets
cost twice as much as they should. Especially the prices (9.99 EUR) for the
small star wars sets (Jedi defense, Jedi Duel) are outrageous. I got the
stuff here before me. You get almost nothing for the money! Technic Darth
Vader 8010 for 46 EUR. The box is two times bigger than it should be, which
makes me believe the guys at LEGO are very well aware of the fact that the
set is terribly overpriced. At least there's enough space for the
instructions sheet inside the box ... :/
Needless to say I don't buy any regular sets at Lego Direct, only shop@home
exclusives. Which are too expensive too, considering the fact that all items
come DIRECTLY from Lego's storages.

Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:33:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

[...]