 Local / European Union / 136
Re: Euro: one currency does not mean one price :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.eu, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.be, lugnet.loc.de, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.loc.lu, lugnet.loc.ie, lugnet.loc.fr, lugnet.loc.fi, lugnet.loc.at
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 00:59:32 GMT

Wessel inspired me to do my own little survey. My pick was slightly
different; not so much the high end of the range, but across the themes and
prices (and more or less my own taste ;-). I found some strange stuff.......
My pick:
7191 Collector's X-wing
8466 4x4 Off-roader
9754 Darkside Developers Kit
3451 Sopwith Camel
4701 Sorting Hat (HP)
KT207 Large Engine with Tender

My countries: Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Ireland, France.
The sorting hat was the cheapest; EUR7,99 everywhere except France (7,60).
There was very little difference in the Camel; from 54,59(IRL) to 56,99(NL).
The train showed little difference (1 euro) except Ireland being cheap
(26,75 to an average 33,-)
More interesting was the DSDK; not available in Ireland, 95,25 in France and
119,- in the Netherlands. That's +25%!
A similar story for the X-wing; 185.06 in Ireland, 215,- in the Netherlands
(+16%)
The biggest surprise came with the 8466. Everywhere it's 119/129, but in
France only 88! That's a difference of 47%!!!

Other remarkable outcomes:
All sets are most expensive in the Netherlands.
No country has the lowest prices all-round.
For 7191 Ireland is by far the cheapest, France (and Holland) the most
expensive.
For 8466 it's reversed: France is cheapest, Ireland (and Holland) the most
expensive.
I converted US and Danish prices to Euro's (using today's rates from the
Universal Currency Converter) and found that the danish prices are 10%-15%
higher than the average.
In the US 7191 is dirt cheap (at EUR167,74 it's 19% below average) while
KT207 is quite expensive (at EUR39,13 it's 22% higher than average).

So far my EUR0.02.....
I've sent dutch Customer Service an email asking for an explanation. Soon as
I get an answer it'll be here.
I'll put all the figures (long live Excell) on my site (www.briqs.tmfweb.nl)
this weekend. I might put in more sets and countries if I feel inspired....

Duq

Wessel Burgers <wessel_b@yahoo.com> wrote in message
After the introduction of the new European currency three days ago, I was
very curious about what would happen to S@H's prices in the euro-zone. • What
now follows are my findings (which are by no means scientific - it just
illustrates how weird their current pricing policy is)

I picked five sets which were in the upper priceclass, and compared them
across the countries in the euro-zone. The sets I picked were:

10000 Guarded Inn
10001 Metroliner
100019 ebel Blockade Runner
6290 Red Beard Runner
6291 Armada Flagship

The countries that I compared were Germany, Holland, Belgium, Ireland,
Finland, Luxembourg and Austria. Since set 10001 is not available in • France,
I did not include this country in my mini-survey.

After I had totalled the prices of these five sets for each country, I was
able to make a rough comparisson. Here are the total prices for each • country:

BEL: EUR 534,96
LUX: EUR 534,96
GER: EUR 539,95
IRE: EUR 554,53
AUS: EUR 561,97
HOL: EUR 563,98
FIN: EUR 573,48

As you can see, you would be best of in Belgium or Luxembourg if you were • to
buy these 5 sets. The difference with Finland is EUR 38,52! (you could buy
yourself a nice set for that, depending on in which country you live of
course :). I don't know what the VAT % is for each of these countries but • I
don't think that this would be the only explanation for the differences in
price.

What's strange is that from these results you would expect that all five
sets would be cheapest in Belgium or Luxembourg, but that this is not the
case. Set 6291 for example is cheapest in Germany and Ireland (EUR 54,99),
while in the other countries it costs EUR 59,99. Another example: set • 10001
costs EUR 150 in Belgium & Luxembourg, but in Germany it's cheaper - by • one
whole eurocent!

Another weird thing: while some sets have exactly the same prices in two
countries, another set may differ as much as 10% in price between those • same
two countries. For instance, 100019 costs EUR 199,90 in both Belgium and
Germany. Set 6290 however, costs EUR 99,90 in Belgium, but EUR 109,99 in
Germany!

To me this comes across as really strange. It is almost as though someone • at
LD is making up these prices at random. I'd like your thoughts on this. • But
above all I hope LD is reading this and start scratching behind their ears
and does something about it so that everyone gets the same amount of Lego
for their Euros!

Regards,

Wessel