 Local / Australia / 2937
  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) knife (...) Longbows were replaced by firearms, not crossbows, and that was primarily out of disuse more than effectiveness. Bruce (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Cool. How come longbows fell into disuse? And and how come we bothered with crossbows at all? I love finding out about this stuff :-) Regards Richard Still baldly going... (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

IIRC crossbows were used because they were A LOT more accurate than longbows. (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Crossbows were easy to use - there was a lot less training required. Years less, to be specific. They were good in castle defense when rate of fire was less important and a pre-drawn bow was valuable - as little time exposed as possible. The (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Dare I say it - this isn't accurate. :-) Crossbows are extremely accurate and powerful weapons, but more importantly they are easier to be accurate with (point it at what you want to hit and shoot). Longbows are accurate, too, but a lot (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) IIRC, there were still laws in place in England in Elizabethan times that all the peasants had to spend a certain number of hours a week at longbow practice, and there were practice grounds in the cities, but as you say people got lazy and the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) [emphasis mine] I'd ben meaning to chime in on this, but you seem to have covered what I would have, so I'll just say this: Crossbow - The *original* point-and-click interface. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. :-P Franklin (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Fancier models have a scrollpoint. <GD&R> James (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Long barrelled, bayonet equipped muskets

(...) Wise guy, hunh? I'll moitalize ya! (Point, click, thunk!) Bruce Hmmmm, what does this have to do with pirates? Ah, I know - I give my pirates the odd crossbow. Adds to that proper motley crew look. (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.pirates)