 LEGOLAND / 384
Re: Get a glimpse of Legoland Missouri plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:57:59 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Todd Thuma wrote:

So, what is your take on the project? Is this a cross between a LEGO Imagination center and a LEGOLAND Park? From the looks of the one working link you have, the image of the flyer, the graphic is of the park only. Where would the shopping be located? Or does the shopping mean only LEGO.

This is quite a surprise to me. I bet others had their jaw drop like mine. Not that I am knocking Kansas City, Missouri (which by the way, you might want to explain briefly for others the dual state nature of Kansas City, MO) but, this is really only a regional place for travel. While I am certain adding a LEGOLAND MO to the list of parks would be great, foot traffic is certainly, I would guess, going to be lower than LEGOLAND CA.

Did they mention this as part of any larger expansion scheme? Like to Florida, maybe? (fingers crossed).

Keep the community up to date on this. Certainly, it might be a few years away, but its not to early to start planning a convention in Kansas City!

Disclaimer: I lived in the Kansas City, Missouri, area for a few years. It’s a great town, lots of golf courses, the best BBQ in the known universe (in my opinion!), and some crazy fanatical baseball and football fans. I really enjoyed living there. (And living now in the Twin Cities, I’m only about a 7 hour drive away.)

But, I don’t see a Legoland park doing well there. The park could only be open six or seven months out of the year, and the metropolitan area isn’t so big that they could rely on just local visitors - they’d have to have out-of-town visitors to make it feasible. If you’ve ever flown into the KC airport, it’s in the middle of nowhere, at least an hour drive from the location of the proposed park. And unlike Southern California, there aren’t that many other attractions to help draw people.

My ‘gut’ response is that the developer is using the Lego name as a way to draw interest and money into their project, and that this Legoland won’t be part of the final design.

JohnG, GMLTC