 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 168

Re: bulk ordering is here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:26:48 GMT

In lugnet.lego.announce, Brad Justus writes:
Greetings! After a somewhat longer-than-intended absence, I’m back, and with
good news: LEGO Direct is pleased to announce that bulk sales from LEGO start
today, June 14.

Well, everyone else has taken care of saying how neat this is, just add one
more tick mark to the chorus. Hopefully if we start to demonstrate that we will
buy lots and lots there may be some future improvement on pricing.

Our first bulk releases include standard bricks (1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 2x2, 2x4, 2x8)
in light grey, dark green, black, red, and white; as well as plates and smooth
tiles in black, red, and white; windows and doors; and spruce trees.

What I actually wanted to comment on was the images. These are neat. I did a
little looking (especially at the spruce and at the transparent thinwall) and I
gotta say that I really like them. Can Brad or anyone from TLC tell us where
they came from? Check out the shading/highlighting on the lower part of the
thinwall.

I'm speculating but these don't look like they were hand drawn, rather they
look like program output

Any chance of some sort of future bridge between official TLG data and our
hobbist stuff?

We hope that you are as excited as we are with the arrival of the bulk
service. It is but the first of many new offerings which will be appearing in
the coming months. For the next release of bulk elements later this year, we
hope to incorporate some of your many requests, and will develop a more formal
system on LEGO.com (but thanks, Jason Catena) for recording your desires.

Oh, and a big hats off to Jason for that.

++Lar

Re: bulk ordering is here!
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:30:57 GMT

What I actually wanted to comment on was the images. These are neat. I did • a
little looking (especially at the spruce and at the transparent thinwall) • and I
gotta say that I really like them. Can Brad or anyone from TLC tell us • where
they came from? Check out the shading/highlighting on the lower part of the
thinwall.

I'm speculating but these don't look like they were hand drawn, rather they
look like program output

        Probably the same Program as they use to generate Set
Instructions...

            Steve

Re: bulk ordering is here!
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:02:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
What I actually wanted to comment on was the images. These are neat. I did a
little looking (especially at the spruce and at the transparent thinwall) and • I
gotta say that I really like them. Can Brad or anyone from TLC tell us where
they came from? Check out the shading/highlighting on the lower part of the
thinwall.

I'm speculating but these don't look like they were hand drawn, rather they
look like program output

Any chance of some sort of future bridge between official TLG data and our
hobbist stuff?

I've wanted to ask them this for over two years.  It is obvious that the
quality of the instructions on brickshelf would be greatly improved if
the were directly output from their cad system instead of scanned.
It would also save quite a bit of time and effort (at least for recent ones).

They probably have some business reasons for not doing that, and we should
respect that.  However, if they did want to use that method,
I would love to help them do it.

KL

Re: bulk ordering is here!
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Loch writes:
[...]

Yes, in an ideal world, I'd like to see all the instructions available for
download in a single printable (PDF?) document. However, I expect TLG would
want to host that themselves (if at all). If they did, a high quality set data
base which, perhaps, gave some design background for the higher profile sets
would also be good. The end product would provide a useful data source for
AFOLS, and design/building inspiration/ideas for AFOLS and kids alike.

Scott A

They probably have some business reasons for not doing that, and we should
respect that.  However, if they did want to use that method,
I would love to help them do it.

KL

Re: bulk ordering is here!
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Well, everyone else has taken care of saying how neat this is, just add one
more tick mark to the chorus. Hopefully if we start to demonstrate that we
will buy lots and lots there may be some future improvement on pricing.

Wow, I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be.  Pricing is a little whacky on
some elements in some colors, but that comes from Lego looking at a grey brick
as the same as a red brick since they probably cost them the same to make.

Doubt it'll have much of a negative impact on parts sellers for a while (some
individual's prices will need to be adjusted downward, while most won't (or
could go up - we now have a real "market value" for pieces, I suppose).

And the bulk discount thing is way cool.

What I actually wanted to comment on was the images. These are neat. I did a
little looking (especially at the spruce and at the transparent thinwall) and
gotta say that I really like them. Can Brad or anyone from TLC tell us where
they came from? Check out the shading/highlighting on the lower part of the
thinwall.

The images are very professional-looking.  Now that I've seen the copies at
Brickshelf.  :)  Companies keep running heavy traffic sites on NT and IIS
<shakes head>.  Maybe I need to apply for that NT Admin job with Lego Direct
after all.

Any chance of some sort of future bridge between official TLG data and our
hobbist stuff?

With that kind of quality, we can only hope.

Kudos, Brad.  I've been reluctant to seem hopeful about this in the past, but
this looks good.  In a year or so I might have no reason to buy up a bunch of
sets to get the parts I want, which means I can stop spending all my time
selling parts and get my 3rd bedroom back for just building instead of
storage.  :)

Re: bulk ordering is here!