 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1472
Re: new Technic product shown!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.technic, lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:22:49 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jonathan Wilson writes:

I dont mind vechicles but they need to get away from all of these sports
cars, racing cars, motorbikes, construction equiplent (like those
excavators), trucks (like that blue tow truck that noone seems to want)
and so on.

Oddly enough, I do actually agree with you here - I really like it when
someone comes up with something that is not a vehicle with Technic. Saying
that, it could well be argued that the Star Wars droids are in fact also
vehicles, but then that would be me being pedantic :-)

To a certain extent, however, there is a degree of Darwinism here; one
reason that construction machinery and vehicles are prevalent in toys of all
types is simply that people (kids and adults :-) have always liked them, and
I imagine will continue to like them for a long time to come.

You also have to remember that as adult, you may have seen several Technic
ranges come and go, but for most people the lifespan of their Technic
experience will perhaps be four years or so. This essentially means that it
is possible to cycle the same type of vehicle as a different model every so
often, with the majority of "new users" not being explicity aware of the

Here are the vechicles I would look at getting
anything that flys including spacecraft
anything that goes on, in and under the water

Well so far they've made various aircraft as well as the Space Shuttle, and
for underwater there was that submarine. Both of these are great models, but
as I was wittering on about yesterday, a slight problem with them is that
the shuttle won't fly and the sub won't go underwater, whereas a Technic
digger can actually be made to dig. If you are very literal about your
models, this is important, but then again, not everyone is :-)

Jennifer Clark
http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/