 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1329
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:27:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Zwicker writes:
I think that TLC will guard against this by limiting the number of elements
included in the software. For example, if this software includes a database
of say, 1000 parts (a wild guess), our personalized instructions will not be
able to contain other parts than those 1000.

This way, TLC will limit the number of parts it will have to produce for us
and will help keep the cost of the endeavor in check. Unfortunately, it will
mean that we won't be able to order "any part in any color". However, I hope
I am  wrong :-) .

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that'll be true-- after all, one of the major costs in
manufacturing is the time it takes in changing from one mold to another,
when you could have been pumping out more parts. Also, I seem to recall that
if the color's being changed, they have to run the machine for a minute or
something to remove all of the old color and get the new color flowing.
(Someone once mentioned having a swirl of yellow in a red brick once, which
would seem to support that).

Also, as Suz mentioned, if the molds for a part no longer exist, they can't
very well make the part. So we probably can't go ordering pitchforks, old
style technic connectors (w/ teeth), classic space helmets, etc. (Although I
wish we could!)

At a random guess, I'd say their part selection will change yearly, and
popular parts will remain orderable, with less popular parts being cycled
out, and also corresponding to their use in current sets. So maybe that
means that users of the product will need to change part libraries every
year... or that when you submit your design for ordering, you'll simply get
a list of unavailable parts that you used in your model that won't be
included in your shipment.

DaveE