 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1295
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:20:55 GMT

"Franklin W. Cain" <fwcain@yahoo.com> writes:

This "free software" which is to be used for building models, will it
be compatible with LDraw/LEdit?  That is, will it be able to read in
and interpret the LDraw/LEdit DAT file format?

I'm guessing that TLC uses the word "free" in the meaning "gratis", not
"free" as in "Free Software Foundation".

I would be very surprised if TLC are going to use the LDraw format.  It
has far too many difficult issues for them to use it.  If we are lucky,
we can reverse engineer whatever format TLC comes up with to describe
the models to be submitted, and make a converter from LDraw to this
format.  But I honestly doubt even that.

Difficult issues with LDraw include:

o Incomplete parts library.  Obviously, many of the recent parts (and a
  few old ones, too) are missing from the LDraw parts library.  It is a
  substantial job to fill in these.

o Some of the LDraw parts do not look like the real LEGO counterparts.
  For example, the Technic axles are a bit too short, the Technic pins
  do not have the "lips" on the ends, the 6558 Technic Axle Joiner has
  the old style looks, meaning that the exterior is rotated 45° with
  respect the part being used right now.  Then there's a lot of details
  which are left out on LDraw parts, for example the tubes under the
  plates and bricks, ribs on Technic friction pins and much, much more.

o Some parts are difficult to model with LDraw.  Take the flexible
  element tubes, axles and other elements.  These are difficult to model
  with LDraw, and hence it is difficult to communicate exactly what
  length is required.

o LDraw can be used to compose "impossible" part combinations.  A lot of
  LDraw parts come as multiple subparts.  Some of these subparts reflect
  the way the real parts are composed, and some don't.  For example, you
  can use LDraw to include odd elements in your models like the end part
  of a Technic Pneumatic Airtank, a single 2x2/1x4 plate hinge element,
  a minifig jack handle without the rest of the jack and so on.

o Parts in non-existing colour combinations.  Let me just say chromed
  minifigs and yellow rubber tires.  I'm sure you can picture the
  problems related to this.

I bet TLC prefer to make their own modeling software and parts library
to avoid problems like this.

It may be relevant to note that while LUGNET, Brickshelf, NQC and lots
of other fan created tools have received attention from TLC lately, I
haven't seen much of this for LDraw.  LDraw may be something TLC do not
want to support.

The news we have heard lately is really exciting!  2002 is not that far
off.  Let's just hope that this service is offered to the whole world
simultaneously, so that us from far away Europe don't have to wait
another year...

Fredrik (still waiting for LEGO Direct to appear i Norway)