 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1305
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:18:27 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"Franklin W. Cain" <fwcain@yahoo.com> writes:

I would be very surprised if TLC are going to use the LDraw format.  It
has far too many difficult issues for them to use it.  If we are lucky,
we can reverse engineer whatever format TLC comes up with to describe
the models to be submitted, and make a converter from LDraw to this
format.  But I honestly doubt even that.

Hmm.  As I just finished posting, before readin this, :-) ...it would be
great if this software could import DAT files and convert them itself to the
new format.  This would save a LOT of hassle changing over the community's
standard format if this software is to replace LCAD.

If this replaces LCAD, it better be Windows/Mac/Unix compatible, not too
heavy on the animation, easy to use yet not too sappy GUI, advanced enough
for the most demanding users, etc etc.  It should embody all LCAD has become
into something greater and truly better - NOT Creator-esque.

Difficult issues with LDraw include:

o Incomplete parts library.  Obviously, many of the recent parts (and a
  few old ones, too) are missing from the LDraw parts library.  It is a
  substantial job to fill in these.

Again, if the TLC software imported DAT, this would not be a problem.

o Some of the LDraw parts do not look like the real LEGO counterparts.
  For example, the Technic axles are a bit too short, the Technic pins
  do not have the "lips" on the ends, the 6558 Technic Axle Joiner has
  the old style looks, meaning that the exterior is rotated 45° with
  respect the part being used right now.  Then there's a lot of details
  which are left out on LDraw parts, for example the tubes under the
  plates and bricks, ribs on Technic friction pins and much, much more.

Take the part number representations and convert over that way.  If the
software knows the LDraw library, then conversion should not be a huge
problem.  Spacing may become an issue, but if their parts snap to studs, it
can automagically be adjusted.

o Some parts are difficult to model with LDraw.  Take the flexible
  element tubes, axles and other elements.  These are difficult to model
  with LDraw, and hence it is difficult to communicate exactly what
  length is required.

DAT import again.

o LDraw can be used to compose "impossible" part combinations.  A lot of
  LDraw parts come as multiple subparts.  Some of these subparts reflect
  the way the real parts are composed, and some don't.  For example, you
  can use LDraw to include odd elements in your models like the end part
  of a Technic Pneumatic Airtank, a single 2x2/1x4 plate hinge element,
  a minifig jack handle without the rest of the jack and so on.

o Parts in non-existing colour combinations.  Let me just say chromed
  minifigs and yellow rubber tires.  I'm sure you can picture the
  problems related to this.

If DAT was imported, the software could check for parts not produced in
certain colors, and incomplete/non-available parts.

I bet TLC prefer to make their own modeling software and parts library
to avoid problems like this.

No doubt they will make their own library.  I hope it doesn't turn out like
Creator, and can be made compatible with a lite viewer and plugged into
LUGNET, DAT support, advanced features, etc etc.  Maybe they should develop
two versions, with age reccommendations on them.  Perhaps 5-12 and 12+ -
different skill levels, and MLCAD-like features on the latter.  What if it
supported LEdit key commands??  That would rock!! :-)

It may be relevant to note that while LUGNET, Brickshelf, NQC and lots
of other fan created tools have received attention from TLC lately, I
haven't seen much of this for LDraw.  LDraw may be something TLC do not
want to support.

I believe its from the legal hoops they will have to jump through to adopt
some sort of compatibility.  I hope they go through with it anyways, and
support the importing of DAT in their software.  If they don't, a lot of
people here will be forced to redesign their models in their software if
they want to order bricks.  They should be able to convert their models over
with a few clicks, save it as the new LEGO format, and go about their merry
ways.

If TLC doesn't support DAT, a lot of people will be frustrated.  Though they
may provide a better program, a lot of people will be forced to redo work
they spent hours on.  Will that be worth it to take advantage of the new
service, when they've already spent the time designing it in 3D?

What about renderings through programs like POV-Ray.  If this new program
had a rendering/scene feature that was easy to use (for dummies like me)
that would be wonderful.  Make the program multipurpose...creating digital
instructions, parts lists, scenes, etc - in one file.  Keep the idea of the
DAT file and go off of it.  Small portable text file which references local
files.  One of the things that makes LDraw so great.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne