 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1270
Re: LEGO Company Welcomes Adult LEGO Enthusiasts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 04:05:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Quoting from the article:

  "...builders will be able to build any three dimensional creation
  using free software to create building instructions for their model -
  and then order the appropriate number and type of bricks"
  -- Torben Ballegaard Sørensen

I have a question for Mr. Justus,
regarding the above quotation.

This "free software" which is to be used
for building models, will it be compatible
with LDraw/LEdit?  That is, will it be able
to read in and interpret the LDraw/LEdit DAT file format?

I sincerely hope this will be the case,
as there are hundreds (if not thousands) of CAD models
already built using the LDraw/LEdit DAT format,
and it would be a sincere loss if these files
were not available for use in this endevour
of yours (and of the Lego Company's).

If this "free software" will not be able
to directly read in files constructed using
the LDraw/LEdit DAT format,
would you consider the creation and release
of a translation/import program, to convert
from LDraw/LEdit DAT format to your program's format?

Thank you.

Very sincerely yours,
Franklin W. Cain

"http://fcain.tripod.com/"
"http://fcain.tripod.com/lego/"
"http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fwcain/"
"http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fwcain/castle123/" (under construction)

(quoted from previous messages):

The ability to buy any piece in any quantity in perhaps any color
is truly mindbendingly awesome.  2002 won't get here soon enough.

Where precisely did you see this?

Read down the left side of:
http://www.lego.com/press/legocompany.asp
It's just above Eric's arm. :)