 LEGO Company / Official LEGO Announcements / 75
74  |  76
Subject:
LEGOfactory.com launches... and it's big!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.announce, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:31:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Posting on vacation, yep I’m that dedicated! :)

I just got this note from colleagues and couldn’t stand waiting a week to post about it!

As of this week, children are invited to come forward with their very own LEGO micro model designs and enter a competition on the brand new web site www.LEGOfactory.com. 10 winners will get their model produced and sold as a real LEGO set!

We are inviting consumers into the experience of designing real LEGO sets and vote for other consumer’s creations. This allows us to expand our relationship with LEGO fans of all ages and provide LEGO Company with a unique business opportunity by interacting directly with consumers and translate what they really want when they get to decide for themselves.

This is made possible by the unique virtual building tool: LEGO Digital Designer (LDD), which is computer software that allows consumers to build their own 3D LEGO models similar to how professional LEGO Designer design new LEGO models today. Since the first version of LDD was made available for free download at LEGO.com one year ago, 500,000 consumers worldwide have downloaded the software to their computers. A new and improved version of LDD with new features and improved user interface launched this week as part of www.LEGOfactory.com.

Now children can really bring forward and express their imagination, and if they need a bit of advice and ideas, a team of professional LEGO designers along with Adult LEGO Fans (AFOLs) have contributed inspiration materials and tutorials on the LEGO Factory web site.

If the idea catches on, we will open up the virtual LEGO Factory for all LEGO fans to have their own models produced and sold on-line. Says Mark Hansen, Director, Interactive Experiences: “Consumers will create LEGO models and decide which ones will be available for purchase on-line. This is not only a new LEGO Experience; it is also a new revenue stream to the LEGO Company.” Mark is heading up the LEGO Factory project which is a joint initiative by LEGO Community Development and Interactive Experiences.

Check out LEGO Factory at www.LEGOfactory.com

As you can imagine, this is big news. Please help us spread the word about this amazing project so that it can be as successful as possible. As you can imagine, the better this project does, the more it can expand...

Thanks!
Jake

---
Jake McKee